[Solved] [WinPE] Create Desktop Shortcuts

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by IAmTheDude, Sep 20, 2015.

1. IAmTheDude

IAmTheDude MDL Member

Oct 12, 2011
    #1 IAmTheDude, Sep 20, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2015
  2. IAmTheDude

IAmTheDude MDL Member

Oct 12, 2011
    Sorted!

Maybe this was the long way round but it does exactly what I want!

When the PE boots the USB is mapped to Y.

In normal Windows I used vsubst to mount a folder as a drive with Y as the letter.

Duplicated the folder structure in the root of this new drive and copied setup.exe to the correct location.

Then I pulled to the desktop shortcuts to each setup.exe and renamed them.

Mounted boot.wim with DISM and copied these shortcuts to /Users/Public/Desktop and unmounted.

Works perfectly :D

Now I have awesome 10 based WinPE which boots to a working 10 desktop with shortcuts to each setup.exe :)

Can now fit 7 x86/x64, 8 x86/x64, 10 x86/x64, Server 2008, Server 2012 as well as have Office 2010 and 2013 setup files all on one USB from which I can install any OS :clap:

I also pulled the files from the Macrium Reflect rescue ISO and merged them in my boot.wim, created a shortcut like above and now have Macrium running from my own PE as well :D

On top of that, as each OS has its own $OEM$ folder doing its business its now easier to adjust or edit without fiddling around with an ISO (like Easy2B etc).

Now my next task is to merge this in with DaRT as the downside to this is that even though all OS's have their DaRT in the boot.wim, it cant be used as its running from the exe o_O

Loving it :)

3. mabaega

mabaega MDL Senior Member

Dec 30, 2010
    it seems interesting to try

What equipment do you use ( software needed ) , and how do you make it ?
    Would you explain step by step to make it? plzz :worthy:

thank's

4. tanush62

tanush62 MDL Novice

Feb 18, 2014
    #5 tanush62, Sep 25, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2015
    Hi Dude, Please give us more detailed info.
    What options in pebuilder did You include, what exclude.
    Where to find vsubst, I couldn't find it. With "subst" doesn't work. How to add shorcuts to desktop?

What about after restart? Windows need to restart after first part, how can it see substituted drive?