Some basic noob questions about Office 2013 on Windows 7 and Windows 8

Discussion in 'Microsoft Office' started by quaffle, Jan 3, 2013.

1. quaffle

quaffle MDL Novice

Jan 3, 2013
    #1 quaffle, Jan 3, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    Hi everyone,

I've read the majority of sticky threads on the forum but I'm a little confused about some things.

I'm going to install and activate bother Windows 8 and Office 2013 on one machine and update my parent's old Vista machine to Windows 7 and Office 2013.

This is what I understand:

To activate Windows 8 via KMS:

Code:
    slmgr.vbs -ipk <KEY>
    slmgr /skms <KMS SERVER>
    slmgr.vbs -ato
    slmgr /ckms

Where <KEY> is a Windows 8 Professional KMS key and <KMS SERVER> is the address of a KMS server that is capable of activating Windows 8. This seems easy enough. Am I right there?

Windows 7 can be activated with Daz's excellent Windows Loader. Simple.

Now from what I understand, Office 2013 (VL editions, not retail) can be activated on Windows 7 with CODYQX4's Microsoft Toolkit, this isn't an option for Windows 8 though? Am I right?

Is there a tool for activating Office 2013 (VL) on Windows 8 or a set of command lines to activate it via KMS in a similar fashion to how I activated Windows 8 above?

Finally, is there a good GUI for automating this stuff every 180 days so I can just leave my Windows 8/Office 2013 to activate with KMS automatically?

Sorry for having to post this. There's just a lot of information floating about and I'm a little confused! Thanks for your time in advance.

2. pramodm

pramodm MDL Member

Aug 10, 2012
    #2 pramodm, Jan 3, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2013
    Absolutely. :biggrin:

Use these commands:
    cscript ospp.vbs /inpkey:<GVLK Key for Office>
    cscript ospp.vbs /sethst:<Server IP Address>
    cscript ospp.vbs /act

Done ! ;)

Don't think so, but you can always search for them. I personally use the native Windows scheduler to run the activation every 180 days. But above all, I prefer running them manually. I can spend a few minutes every 180 days for this for sure. :D

3. david_xross_2

david_xross_2 MDL Senior Member

Aug 31, 2012
    #3 david_xross_2, Jan 3, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2013
    Use KMSmicro WO w7 o2010-13 v1.0.1.7z from here to activate Office 2013 on Windows 8..It's GUI based and pretty easy to use...

4. quaffle

quaffle MDL Novice

Jan 3, 2013
    Thanks. What's the technical reason behind this out of curiosity?

Thanks for your help and advice. I'm assuming I can just run the same commands once every 180 days for Office 2013 in a similar fashion to Windows 8?

5. quaffle

quaffle MDL Novice

Jan 3, 2013
    Hi. Thank you. What exactly is this tool?

6. david_xross_2

david_xross_2 MDL Senior Member

Aug 31, 2012
    It's basically a micro version (small in size) of KMS server that you can use locally (offline) on your PC to activate VL versions of Windows 7,8 and Office 2010,2013.

7. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
  8. quaffle

quaffle MDL Novice

Jan 3, 2013
    Sorry for the stupid question but why use this when you can activate it against real KMS servers hosted elsewhere via the internet?

Just trying to understand.

9. quaffle

quaffle MDL Novice

Jan 3, 2013
    Thank you for that information.

Is it known if CODYQX4 is working on incorporating this new KMS protocol into his Toolkit? If so, I may just wait til he releases that.

10. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    There is no known development of new KMS protocol compatible emulator anywhere. If you want a local/offline activator, you have to use any available KMS VM.

11. pramodm

pramodm MDL Member

Aug 10, 2012
    #11 pramodm, Jan 3, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2013
    It was possible by virtually resending the same KMS response every 180 days. A similar approach was taken by CODYQX4 to get Office 2013 up & running on Windows 7 & emulate the KMS responses on it. Well that changed with Windows 8. :biggrin:

M$ beefed up the cat and mouse game by introducing newer activation methods, OA 3.0 (OEM BIOS activations) to be precise, thereby thwarting older methods like Daz's. o_O

DAZ's loader would use OEM keys (in combination with multiple exploits such as SLIC cert installs) to activate multiple copies of Windows 7. Such copies, being OEM activated, would always pass M$'s WGA checks as they are never blocked by M$.

With Windows 8, what M$ now does is it will pre-install Windows 8 into a PC’s BIOS, allowing end users to key-in a product key to activate the software online. The protection allows PC makers and system builders to pre-activate copies of Windows for use on their hardware & ultimately much caused headaches for Daz. :rolleyes:

Sure thing ! As long as you have a KMS host up & running these commands will work like a breeze.

12. quaffle

quaffle MDL Novice

Jan 3, 2013
    Thanks. And this KMS can be an externally hosted one or one made locally with KMSmicro, right?

Think I'm understanding... assuming that's correct.

13. pramodm

pramodm MDL Member

Aug 10, 2012
    So that you need not search for a new active KMS server always on the internet when an old one goes down.
    There were not many leaked online KMS servers during the Windows 7 era when compared to how the situation looks right now.
    Also, you can simply run KMSMicro versions right from your desktop & activate both Office & Windows in a few clicks locally ! :biggrin:

14. pramodm

pramodm MDL Member

Aug 10, 2012
    Yes, you can host the same KMS Micro server online too thereby opening up activations to the world. :D

15. quaffle

quaffle MDL Novice

Jan 3, 2013
    Cool, thanks a lot.

On searching, there seems to be a lot of different versions and editions of KMSMicro. Is there a preferred or recommended version?

Thanks again man!

16. quaffle

quaffle MDL Novice

Jan 3, 2013
    Brilliant.

One last little question to ask you, I hope you don't mind!

What the hell is the different between all those multiple KMSmicro versions? There's a lot.

Also, does the WMC activation trick after activating via KMS still work? Is it worth doing that in your opinion?

Thank you!

17. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    Nope, WMC-Loophole on KMS activated systems was closed some days ago.
    Diffenrence in KMSmicro and similiar version is mostly the size of the virtual machine (the KMS-Host) and the way it is running, e.g. automatic in background or manual. KMSfull versions are WS12-KMS-Hosts which are able to activate Server systems too.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  18. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    #19 s1ave77, Jan 7, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2017
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...