Some better browser news for a change...

Discussion in 'Serious Discussion' started by smallhagrid, Oct 15, 2020.

1. smallhagrid

smallhagrid MDL Addicted

Sep 14, 2013
    So here we are, most of us struggling with new obstacles day by day during all of 2020 thus far - and on top of all the other craziness, ALL the mainstream browsers are now just chrome with slightly different paint jobs.

Personal Disclaimer:
    I absolutely detest & disdain ANY/ALL s/w that has been dumbed down or made graphical-only in a fixed manner.
    So=> if there was a way to make chrome variants behave very similarly to what I describe below I could tolerate brief exposures to the resource hoggy thing - but I've not been able to find any means to do this.
    (Too bad that Chromescape Navigator is unrelated with this concept...)
    ((And this title says it VERY well=> "Chrome is really bad now, what's the best navigator atm ?"))

Thankfully, amidst all the chrome-izing, I've actually found that some good 'ol genuine browsing simplification remains possible, phew.

My recent browser usages have been centered upon either Seamonkey or Mypal, with an unfortunate sprinkling in of chromium when absolutely forced to by badly made sites.
    Palemoon gets some specific uses here as well, but less than others.
    (Please bear in mind with all of the info here that I am now a 100% Linux user, so applying any of these ideas to 'other' OSes means that YMMV.)

Here is my back-story, browser-wise:
    Some regular, normal updating resulted silently in Seamonkey getting the rather nasty one-way update to version 2.53.4 - and that caused outright pandemonium for me because it barfed on some of my favourite extensions & froze endlessly while I figured out which extensions I was being forced to delete.
    What remains of it now is VERY disappointing to say the least - as much as I have enjoyed using Seamonkey, it has become almost un-customizable just like the (now useless & unused here) Firefox that is merely a nasty chrome clone.

Mypal under WINE remains a delight - fast & clean & very useful, so it has remained running with me switching between those 2 'main' browsers for appropriate uses of each (Mypal doesn't do media content at all...).

This is most likely in the process of changing for me now, and here's why:
    Very recently I tried out the Linux release of Basilisk and much to my delight, found that it does EVERYTHING that I prefer the most - and quite perfectly, which amazes & delights me.
    A huge plus for me is being able to literally use ALL the extensions that customize it beautifully - with Tab Mix Plus at the very top of the list (inability to use that with Seamonkey has made that browser into a real stinker).

For anyone else who prefers a browser that keeps well out of the way as a browser should, I highly recommend Basilisk now.

Hopefully it will NOT also become a disaster due to the ongoing & extreme lobotomizing that seems to be taking over all the more mainstream browsers - and which has already changed Seamonkey into a bit of an abortion, sadly.
    ( http://www.basilisk-browser.org/download.shtml )

Lastly, this link deserves mention:
    http://patrol.psyced.org/

There it says (only too truthfully & painfully IMO) :
    A very sad truth of our times.

PS:
    Here is a genuine old love of mine=>

[​IMG]

Just imagine the above minus the BM bar & with a text-only toolbar, and that is the shape I prefer my browsers to be in; no excess eye-rattling baloney, just show me the stuff I want to see, and NOTHING else, please.

2. smallhagrid

smallhagrid MDL Addicted

Sep 14, 2013
    A great article - though it is NOT good news at all:
    http://techrights.org/2020/10/17/mozilla-abandoned-users/

3. Zalex

Zalex MDL Novice

Aug 26, 2013
    Hi,

You could consider to check out Vivaldi Browser.
    It's based on Chromium but different Dev's / Company's view.

--
    [​IMG]

4. excalibur2

excalibur2 MDL Senior Member

Aug 1, 2015
    Important: We will be discontinuing the 32-bit versions of Basilisk for Windows very soon. If you are on a 64-bit operating system, then please always download the 64-bit version of the browser to avoid interruptions in future updates.

5. smallhagrid

smallhagrid MDL Addicted

Sep 14, 2013
    Thanks for your thoughtful reply:
    As a former Opera user (quite some time ago) I did more than consider it - it is installed - but barely ever used.

All chrome based browsers have one major thing in common that I've noticed=>
    When in use, my PC's resource meter reveals very heavy loading, quite unlike the better ones I've mentioned.

Yep, sho' nuff:
    And as said in the OP of this thread:
    This may matter very much to others who use that OS, but is not relevant to my own usages.

6. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    is true ;)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. Zalex

Zalex MDL Novice

Aug 26, 2013
    #7 Zalex, Oct 19, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2020

Sadly, yes.
    There are some "tweaks" but are not always enough.

Tested SeaMonkey time ago, never heard about MyPal.
    Always used Opera, Presto, now Blink and Vivaldi, FF very few.

If Chrome owner "really" changes good news would come.

8. boyonthebus

boyonthebus MDL Expert

Sep 16, 2018
    No too shabby IMHO
    [​IMG]

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. smallhagrid

smallhagrid MDL Addicted

Sep 14, 2013
    @boyonthebus:
    Do you ONLY come around to display disagreement ??

10. smallhagrid

smallhagrid MDL Addicted

Sep 14, 2013
    Latest browser news from here...:
    Seamonkey finally got to the point of being too much of a PITA, so for now - Basilisk, Mypal & Thunderbird it is.

I haven't found anything that could make a chrome-based browser as snappy & light as those I use most:
    All the chrome-ized browsers of late have been disappointments for me.
    Also:
    I cannot in good conscience recommend Seamonkey anymore.
    It was really quite good in its previous version, but after their recent forced update It became so laggy & hoggy that it isn't even worth using anymore (and of course they also forced extension removals...too much like FF now, sadly).
    The only thing that I'll miss from it is its really great & customizable start page, which I wish I could somehow get into Basilisk (Mypal has a really good one also).

As to Mypal=>
    Browser choices tend to vary depending upon what OS, etc. that you use of course;
    For me - even via Linux & WINE, Mypal is very light, quick & good.
    It is a descendant of Palemoon, and found here:
    https://mypal-browser.org/
    https://mypal-browser.org/download.html

11. Zalex

Zalex MDL Novice

Aug 26, 2013
    Yes,
    Read that about MyPal.

Currently, since G, it seems everyone has to be on latest hardware to run just a Browser.

I'm on W7, for now, still supported by modern browsers.

Will see for how long, 4 more years maybe, at least by per Microsoft company's support.

Maxthon is nice, still developed, not sure if would work on Wine.

--

A funny parody.

12. bear_aussie

bear_aussie MDL Senior Member

Jun 8, 2015
    EDGVM CLASSICVM.PNG
    this is y i still use edge classic
    (cuz cheap 4gb laptop)

13. ipx

ipx MDL Addicted

May 24, 2017
    #13 ipx, Oct 19, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2022

14. smallhagrid

smallhagrid MDL Addicted

Sep 14, 2013
    #14 smallhagrid, Oct 19, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2020
    (OP)
    When someone ONLY shows up EVER to make fun of others, aim personal attacks & ONLY to show disagreement (ipx likes to do this alot as well), then=>
    This is not 'mere' disagreement - it is actually trolling behavior & can at times be moderated as such.

When there is factual info clearly showing that someone is mistaken - THAT can easily be shared politely;
    Else it is best to try & provide HELPFUL info with the other members here.

In his many replies I have seen that ipx can be helpful and even a bit supportive at times, but I have NOT been able to see such qualities in posts by boyonthebus - and yes, I have looked or I would not say that.
    Also, that member seems to be a devout windows user as clearly shown by most of his 200 posts in those areas, and lastly:
    This IS the serious discussion area & as such not the correct area for funny stuff here at MDL.
    (Unless, I must guess - you are SERIOUSLY making fun of me somehow ??)

15. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    My Opera has to be closed every so often, as it stalls completely. Even that is not enough, so I must close the complete tree from Task Manager...

I was considering changing, so this MyPal - this is FF in effect, if I remember correctly, PaleMoon was FF based, ergo...???

My concern is the plugins, like translators, downloaders, security and so on...

16. smallhagrid

smallhagrid MDL Addicted

Sep 14, 2013
    #16 smallhagrid, Oct 20, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2020
    (OP)
    Greetings Gorski !!
    Yes - MyPal is based on the REAL, previous Mozilla FF & directly descended from PaleMoon.

It is not lobotomized (chrome-ized) like the 'new' Mozilla FF is now - and please note that my usages are with an older version of it 27.8.3 32-bit vs. the latest that is 28.14.2, released Oct 13, 2020.
    (I have tried several newer versions, but they did not work as well in Linux via WINE.)
    https://mypal-browser.org/
    https://github.com/Feodor2/Mypal/releases

Better still IMO is Basilisk.
    It is made by the same team, and it is even much better actually, and I do use both of these now.
    https://www.basilisk-browser.org/

About addons, also yes:
    Extensions are what MADE FF SO GREAT before, and which they have now done all they can to kill off in the 'new ff'. Bleah.

Here is something truly beautiful IMO:
    https://github.com/JustOff/ca-archive

All the brain-dead chromee browser BS can just go fish;
    Some of us just ain't OK with that trash and=>
    I sincerely congratulate anyone who is 100% fine with using chrome - I'm not & won't be.

If/when things get so bad that it is ALL there is anymore - well, hopefully by then I will have crossed over already.
    I've no desire to see this & other things get even worse than they have already become.

17. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
  18. smallhagrid

smallhagrid MDL Addicted

Sep 14, 2013
  19. Zalex

Zalex MDL Novice

Aug 26, 2013
    #19 Zalex, Oct 21, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2020

Hi,

Try on a Clean Profile.

Many things would freeze the Browser.
    Check out the Opera Forums about Clean Profile and further steps.

20. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    What they say on the forum is ridiculous, if I understood it properly - instead of them finding the faults and improving Opera, they want us to superficially mess with it endlessly...