Some Help With DISM, Plez?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by ChaserLee, Mar 5, 2015.

1. ChaserLee

ChaserLee MDL Senior Member

Oct 7, 2014
    Hello all. I'm attempting to run the command of "DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth" in an Admin CMD prompt window, but it keeps throwing an ERROR 87 back at me. Says it doesn't recognize the /Online /Cleanup-image /RestoreHealth option. I used the /? to read the help file, and it includes those options within the help, so I cannot figure out why it won't work.

Anyone have any suggestions as to how I can get this to work with 64bit Windows 8.1 Pro VL, with all the latest updates and hotfixes installed?

TIA!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    #2 Mr.X, Mar 5, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    The error is due to bad syntax, you didn't leave spaces between switches:
    Code:
    Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

3. ChaserLee

Oct 7, 2014
    #3 ChaserLee, Mar 5, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    (OP)
    That did the job, alright!! What seems strange is that I did a copy/paste directly from the website article of the command, and then I did another copy/paste when I made this post. I double checked, and there are spaces in the copy/paste that I did. However, it did not work when I pasted it into the cmd prompt. When I did a copy/paste of yours, it worked just fine, even though yours had the same spaces that the original did. The only difference was that you left off the ".exe" part.

Well, strange or not, yours did, indeed, work just fine, and I thank you for the help, and the lesson!! Take care..

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    #4 Mr.X, Mar 5, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2015
    I don't think the .exe extension affects the syntax, but perhaps you wrote the " " in the line.
    You must do it without quotation marks.

5. ChaserLee

Oct 7, 2014

I added the quote marks just for this forum post. I really cannot explain the difference between your code, and the code that I originally did a copy/paste with, except to say that yours' worked, and the original did not....

The important thing is that yours' DID work, so problem solved. Again, many thanx !!