Some linux help

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Deleted member 222776, Nov 6, 2017.

Hello,

Sorry for using such a generic title but I'd like to use this thread for my linux questions in order to not open 100 threads.

My questions:
    1. On Windows, I use MPC-HC x64 with madVR. Is there anything like this for Linux? From my research, I guess the best one would be mpv, but is this true? Regarding codecs, do they still need to be installed on linux? I've also used DXVA in Windows, any alternative to this for linux?

2. I've heard that I could so a video-card passthrough from linux os to another virtualized os. I only have one graphics card, a 970GTX, could this still be done? If so, will it work with any hypervisor (vmware, virtualbox, etc.)?

Thank you!

1. TT_ZX

TT_ZX MDL Novice

Aug 27, 2010
    There are plenty of video players for Linux. The ffmpeg library is used for most decoding. This will be installed as a dependency of what ever video player you choose so you don't need to worry about this.

You will need a type 1 hypervisor to do pci-passthrough. KVM is you best bet here. You also need hardware support (VT-d or IOMMU) in your motherboard and CPU. If your CPU has graphics (and your mother supports it), you can usually pass the dedicated graphics card through to the VM. This is a fairly involved process though so you'll need to take your brave pills :D.

2. This does not really help me because:
    1. I do not want to make my computer a hypervisor. Doing so it gets very tedious to switch between os and I'm doing task intensive operations on it. Also the virtualized OSes can only be accessed via RDP or SSH and I do not want this. So out of the question.
    2. It needs to be a hypervisor type 2 (OS -> Vmware -> Virtualised OS)

3. TT_ZX

TT_ZX MDL Novice

Aug 27, 2010
    KVM can be used just like VirtualBox etc. KVM is built into the Linux kernel so you can just boot your Linux distro as per normal. You can then use Virtual Machine Manager (virt-manager) to configure, start, stop and access the screen of your VM's.

If you are passing a graphics card through to a VM you can connect a separate cable from you graphics card to a spare input on you monitor and then use your monitor to switch inputs. Again, this stuff is fairly advanced so expect to do a lot of reading and fiddling to make it work. It does work though as this is how I used to play Windows only games.

4. Could please elaborate (bear in mind I'm still a beginner in Linux)? The following comes to mind:

1. I'm using openSuse as my primary os. Is KVM already built into it? I'm confused as how this will work exactly.
    Type 1 Hypervisors are installed on bare-metal AFAIK.
    Is it openSuse -> KVM -> Windows
    or
    KVM -> openSuse
    KVM -> Windows

2. I have 3 monitors connected to a NVIDIA 970 GTX. How would it work for me? I assume I'll no longer have all the monitors running, and just set one asside for my virtualised OS (Windows).

Thank you.

5. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
  6. #7 Deleted member 222776, Nov 9, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2017
    (OP)
    If I set a file on linux with 700 permissions, and then transfer it to windows, what would happen?
    Would it lose linux permissions?

So, I want to do something like this:
    1. chmod 700 mykey.key
    2. copy the file to a USB stick (NTFS)
    3. copy the file from USB stick to Windows OS
    4. edit the file on Windows
    5. copy the file to back to linux

When copying the file to Windows will reset it's linux permissions?

What I want to achieve here is to retain permission across operating systems.

7. TT_ZX

TT_ZX MDL Novice

Aug 27, 2010
    Windows and Linux permissions are not compatible. It doesn't really make sense to have special permissions on a USB stick anyway. Setting file permissions to be readable for your user only on a USB stick will not stop someone else from being able to read it. They can just plug it into any machine they have root access to and change the permissions.

What are you really trying to achieve?

8. I have a folder in which I keep all my ssh and gpg keys, my keepass database and truecrypt containers.
    Sometimes I work on linux, sometimes on windows and I modify the keepass database. It is easier for me to just do a copy/replace on all the files on the OS that I am currently on. When I do replace the keys on linux, ssh-add will refuse to load them because they have 0777 permission set on them. This is why I wanted to keep the permissions.

9. TT_ZX

TT_ZX MDL Novice

Aug 27, 2010
    This is where a file server (like a nas) is good. The Samba server will do all the translation so your permissions will work as you want across all operating systems. I'm guessing that's not an option so I think you might be stuck with having to change the permissions each time you copy the files. You could make a script to do this.