Some test with Windows 8.1 Update 1, using Windows 7, 8, 8.1

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by pisthai, May 18, 2014.

1. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Some test with Windows 8.1 Update 1, using Windows 7, 8, 8.1

Yesterday I got the macine from an friend which wasn't start Windows 8.1 Update 1 anymore. It stand either at the W8 Logo, gone to the Repair Process, just rebooted or even din't started at all.

So, what could be the problem:

• Hard Disk 500GB SATA3, 3 years old going to be die?
    • CPU problems because of over clocking?
    • Memory Problems?
    • Mainboard?
    • Old BIOS?
    • or anything else?

Seems to be that the CPU was working OK, over clocked but good cooled with an working temp of below 55C and even set the clock to normal same problems happen.

BIOS? OK, I updated to the latest BIOS, still the same!

Memory? Tested in an other machine: worked just well!

OK, HDD! Took an new 1TB WD Green HDD and installed Windows 8.1 Update 1 and got problems whithin installing! Install wasn't able to finish. So, took Windows 8.1: same! One step more back to Windows 8: Installation finished, done some updates, installed a few apps and the problem started again, sometimes but every time!

OK, back to Windows 7 and all went just well!

But that wasn't the solution I was looking for. Before I do any work on an machine, I clean that machine from dust using an Airblower. So, what prevent that machine from running Windows 8 to 8.1 Update1?

In my last step, I was again take out the memory modules and used an soft pencil rubber for to clean the feet, also used 96% pure alcohol and an clean toothbrush for to clean the memory module sockets from remaining dust inside and viola: ALL worked well with the original installed Windows 8.1 Update 1 on the old HDD!

Resume: For me that clearly shows that from Windows 8 onward, the OS is much more sensitiv about the used components, here the Memory Modules, than older Versions. To keep the computer clean as best as possible, would be essential for to have an system running well

That will also result in an order to the staff of my company for to shorten the cleaning cycle of customers computers from 3 month to 45 days starting immediately. Till now with the 3 month we didn't had such problems within our customers,but who knows?! So shorten that cycle would for sure be efficient in the long run!

Thinking that this experience may would help some members of MDL in the future too, I created this new Topic.

Have a nice day.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    Curious solution to that symptom since a bad contact in RAM modules usually shows up as a non boot/video-signal machine, very weird thing and I am speaking as PC technician that has had a lot of cases like this before. Is there a chance any other thing is causing the symptom?

3. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    No, as I tested all other possible causes too!

On thing what may could have an effect, are the memory modules as well, Kingston, which are the used RAM, are having sometimes some compatibility problems. That machine has 12GB (2x4GB and 2x2GB, both Kingston Hyper X). Personally I didn't use any Kingston in our machines, we use OCZ and since they stopped with producing Memory, we use Geil and Corsair. But the memory has worked for 3+ years already and shouldn't had such problem.

"Funny" thing for me is, that it hasn't problems with Windows 7 and Windows 8 'just' slightly but work on Windows 8.1+ before the full cleaning! Normally, that Memory shouldn't had worked at all in any OS!! That just looks like that Windows 8.1+ is much more sensitiv about reliable Memory that the OS's before that versions!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. coleoptere2007

coleoptere2007 MDL Guru

Apr 8, 2008
    Thanks for the usefull info pisthai, as one of my friend had exactly the same problem following an installation of W8.1 + update. I think u are right concerning the sensivity of the hardware components for this OS. Problem solved for him now. :smile3:

5. LiteOS

LiteOS Windowizer

Mar 7, 2014
    did he put the pc in sleep mode a lot ?