Someone has the certificate to GIGABYTE?

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Boops, Feb 28, 2008.

1. Boops

Boops MDL Addicted

Jan 5, 2008
    Hello:

Someone has the certificate to GIGABYTE?

GIBABYTE.XRM-MS

Thanks

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. heihewen2004

heihewen2004 MDL Novice

Feb 28, 2008
    as i know it does not exist.

3. nasa

nasa MDL Member

Dec 2, 2007
    I think that's because the OS is optional on Gigabyte's laptops and people who frequent this forum would rather install their own OS if possible.

4. nasa

nasa MDL Member

Dec 2, 2007
    In Israel (where I live), at least, Gigabyte laptops are sold with the OS as an option

5. tommiy

tommiy MDL Member

Nov 5, 2007
    someone would have bought it with the os though....

6. nasa

nasa MDL Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Sure, but then they need (1) to know about this forum and (2) be generous enough to upload the cert (If they even know how to extract it).

Though, I'm not sure that it'll help. The way I see it, the problem now (with S3 sleep) is that the bios isn't handling the ACPI tables correctly for vista to remain activated. So entering a Gigabyte SLIC+Cert won't be any different from an Asus, Dell or any other OEM.

7. tommiy

tommiy MDL Member

Nov 5, 2007
    well its interesting because the sleep issue only comes with sp1....before sp1 everything was fine...after sp1 what happens after sleep is that the SLIC is overwritten after the initial 20 odd bytes....so everest etc think its still there but if you use hwdirect and dump the memory its been wiped out. Now since the same bios didn't behave in this manner on v6000 then its something ms has done to stop it from working. obviously they can;t change the bios so they are using it somehow to maybe detect the isa rom and overwrite it??

8. nasa

nasa MDL Member

Dec 2, 2007
    I still think the problem is Gigabyte specific, as people with other MOBOs have not had this issue (or at least haven't complained). Plus, the same thing happens if a "vista loader" is used to emulate the bios.
    One of the "improvements" in SP1 was a faster resume from S3 so I think the (un)activation "feature" is a bug of some sorts with Gigabyte MOBOs and the way they resume from S3 sleep, not an attempt to detect & block OEM activation. That being said, it's just my opinion based on what I've read in replies, I don't have any technical proof (or knowledge) to back it up.

9. FreeStyler

FreeStyler MDL Guru

Jun 23, 2007
    #11 FreeStyler, Mar 1, 2008
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2008
    Come on guys...you can't be serious, right?

You are discussing a unsupported BIOS Modification, so it's not a GigaByte bug, Neither a Vista (sp1) bug.
    Do you really think the guys over @GigaByte add the SLIC table like we do? :)
    So, no it's not a bug, but as it seems GigaByte Bioses are not compatible with this mod, for all what i care this is not that strange as every System Manufacturer has his own methods to build-up it's systems bios releases.

Nasa is right about the fact that a Gigabyte Slic and matching Cert won't change anything to this issue

10. tommiy

tommiy MDL Member

Nov 5, 2007
    sigh back to where yen was at the start of this thread originally. Even with 6000 vista checked the rsdt table oemid etc to ensure that there was a match. It did not check all of the acpi tables just one. The ISA ROM actually overwrites the rsdt oem ids with those of the SLIC table in the rom.

So why is it so hard to believe that sp1 may actually be checking the remaining tables that the mod doesn't cover at present to validate that the OEM is in fact correct? Why is it so hard to believe that part of the fast start up may in fact access the bios directly instead of going through the acpi registry settings like it normally does.

No one mentioned that this is intentional just that it happens and the easiest way to verify was if the OEM ID's actually aligned between the physical bios and the cert.

For instance, do you know that if the cert doesn;t match the SLIC that the RSDT entry even though is present for the SLIC that vista actually discounts the join between the RSDT table and the SLIC table. Have a look with ACPIScope if you want....

If i get enough time i'll rewrite the isa rom code to change all the acpi oem entries and see if this makes a difference.

Now if your making educated judgements on what and will not work my guess is that you have already rewritten the ISA ROM code to rewrite the OEM table IDs and that you have used the vista acpi marking code available from MS homepage for developers to debug vista during the S3 startup...if thats the case plese tell me so I can save myself time.

11. FreeStyler

FreeStyler MDL Guru

Jun 23, 2007
    #13 FreeStyler, Mar 2, 2008
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2008
    ah, you are the expert all of the sudden? anyway...why not trying another mod, you do not need to use the ISA mod you know.
    I'm no expert on these matters either, but i have been around from the beginning, the good old times with XBIOSES, China4Ever and little later Yen.
    Read more, ask less... you know these prepared mods, eg: ISA mod and AMI Super Static Tool are build for the masses, meaning their goal is to assist a large amount of users to simply add a SLIC table to their bioses, if that doesn't work, you can always try to do it manually.

If that is the case SP1 should have screwed up my mod as well :)

thats not true, even legit systems i have seen come by here have non-aligned OEMID tables across the ACPI tables

???... i did not get this sentences, English is not my native tongue

Again, get rid of the ISA mod... it's buggy....try the "Super Static" approach available for both Award and AMI ... worked for every System i "prepared"

12. tommiy

tommiy MDL Member

Nov 5, 2007
    been there tried them all with Yen.....there is nothing else left to read actually that I can find. So although I like your enthusiams to try something else its all been done....alot seems to be tied up with the minit module and there direct links back into the remaining system modules which results in not being able to change the relationship or positioning of modules within the GA bios's. Zhaoliang did some work on this module but it was not exactly conclusive only that there appears to actually be 2 complete copies and entry points in the code.

Moving this module in any way results in some wierd things and various functions that do not work. We have tried OEM7 and matching the size of whats inserted etc etc but none of this works. They all work from boot mind you....just don;t put the system to sleep... oem7 for instance while functioning boot will not even recover after sleep. Super static works in the same manner because you changing the actual size and location in memory. PCI mod will not let Vista boot because vista attempts loading some drivers that conflict but DOS will happily boot and enable the PCI code.

Happy if you can come up with a completely new mod that hasn't already been covered here. If you read the threads here you will see that all available mechanism to resolve the sleep issue with GA has been tried. Happy for you that you have a mechanism that works for you. This of course may not work for other board manufacturers.

13. gollum

gollum MDL Member

Jun 6, 2007
    As to all what i can see and experience with my GA board, yens new method works perfectly well. in fact, i never had a proper s3 situation on any of my old boards, but i do now, and yens bios mod did not change it to the worse...

but still, i am also looking for a gigabyte cert. this unfortunately hasn't come up yet, or does it?