Something unusual: Change screen backlight (lamps brightness) via BIOS ?

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by rykios, Dec 14, 2010.

1. rykios

rykios MDL Novice

Dec 14, 2010
    Hello guys, just registered here hoping to find some help in an unusual problem :rolleyes:

I have for few years now a SONY VAIO "desktop" all-In-one PC, its model is VGC-LV1S ( model series was sold in Europe )
    Screen backlight ( dim lamps ) was controlled from original Sony keyboard ( FN key +F5/F6 ) I always kept brightness at aprox 60% as full bright was too intense, and was causing a lot of heat, fans working at full, noisy ect. Few scales down was perfect for all times.

Now, what happens is that keyboard was ruined! ( juice spilled - dead )
    I had this (agrhhhhh ) idea of UPGRADING THE BIOS with the latest that oficcial SONY EUROPE SUPPORT site offers, bios flush went fine, BUT, screen laps were reset to HIGHEST BRIGHTNESS!
    Now i have no way to reduce lamps backlight. No way at all. Setting is via hardware-level signal from original Sony keyboard, in other words, its "speaking" to motherboard directly . No keyboard = No brightness setting!
    Sony sells a replacement keyboard at 140 Euro ( thats about $200USD ) ! :mad: Impossible for me to buy a replacement keyboard at THAT price! Could not even spend 50 Euro at this time...

searched everywhere. No alternative way to dim the backlight screen lamps.
    Even installed Linux as some topics in forums suggested ways to sort this in Linux. No luck. Lamps work at full, impossible to work for long as eyes hurt, and, PC is burning hot

I know it sounds weird, but maybe someone has SOME idea about where are those "brightness-tables" or default brightness setting hidden in the BIOS...
    I would be happy with ANY setting between 50% to 80%, no need to change , EVER, so a soluton would be to flush a bios that has such a brightness setting and would apply that setting, permanently

Original ROM as extracted from official Sony .EXE :
    www(dot)phyto(dot)gr/{68134581-E37A-48AD-B684-B9D327C8149C}.zip

Many thanks in advance for any help / ideas / suggestions

2. rykios

rykios MDL Novice

Dec 14, 2010
    Thank you VERY much for reply Yihetuan,
    You re right, the setting MUST me in ACPI !

i have extracted the ACPI AML in .BIN,
    now i am examining with hex editor, but, i have no idea where is this setting hidden in all this code.. Yes i am Newbie :)

3. rykios

rykios MDL Novice

Dec 14, 2010
    My friend, sadly there is no way to "remap" the Sony Vaio FN key

Quoting from the page you mention:

and more posted in autohotkey.com/docs/KeyList.htm#SpecialKeys

Sadly for me, the Vaio FN key, is this kind of key: Hardware level key that motherboars BIOS regognizes when pressed Does NOT generate a code when pressed. Cannot remap via HOTKEY or some other WINDOWS aplication.

...After me searching for many days in forums, i am dissapointed, and i beleive i cannot have in the future a brightness UP/DOWN conrtol. ( I can have, if i pay to Sony a lot of money that i dont have :p )
    SO,
    I will be happy if find where is the default setting in the BIOS, change the default BIOS setting from FULL to something LESS,
    I wil be happy.
    No need to change brightness.
    aprox 60% - 70% will be PERFECT

There IS a default value in BIOS, i know, because setting was LOW , and after BIOS upgrade , setting CHANGED. SO, i huess there must be a way to ...fix the bios :D

Thank You! :)

4. rykios

rykios MDL Novice

Dec 14, 2010
    Thank You Sir Y
    i will try