Sometimes bio flashing seems much harder the modding!

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by magnus33, Nov 20, 2009.

1. magnus33

magnus33 MDL Member

Aug 17, 2009
    Not to belittle the great work the modders do of course.

Sometimes though it seems flashing is a much bigger headache then anything else.
    Example here would be a asus motherboard.

Asus live update..more dangerous then most since it run in windows with possible conflicting programs.

Awardflash..much less of a risk since it run in does with nothing else running but it a good amount of the time a major pain because it seems to hate modded bios..(invalid windows license error)

Asus ezflash..built into most modern asus motherboards and is also safe and easy to use..less carring about modded bins but it ever now and then does something odd and makes all the memory go poof after a flash except 127 megs.

As yet there seems to be no sure way to flash that doesn't at times drive one nuts.

What do you think?

Ps.. the eee pc bio update software seems to be the most direct and sure way to flash a pc yet..worked ever time i had to use it without issue.

2. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    I have to agree with. I usually suggest to use the original flashtool that comes with the bios to be modified....

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    I think you should have been modding these bios before Andy put the tools together...:cool::D:D. Your opinion may be a bit different....but maybe not if you weren't doing the SLIC mods..:p

There is little trial and error any more, and certainly less bricks.

Flashing is a bit testing sometimes, but technically deficient..it is not that hard to do.

The actual modding is beyond the scope of most power users (even those using Andy's tools), let alone the general public. Running the tools is not a test, neither is flashing a bios.:cool:

Soon, maybe, judging from the HP Rompaq and such..modding will not be limited to the bios, but also the flash tool. What then???

-Just my, probably unpopular, opinion...LOL Take it lightly

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. magnus33

magnus33 MDL Member

Aug 17, 2009
    I done abit of it back in the day before the tools although not for slic and it is clearly a pain...lol.

The guys who do this have both the practice and knowledge to make it look easy .
    Combine that with the desire to help others and they are a cut above the rest of us when it comes to this stuff and i have no delusions iam in their league...lol.

Sadly they have nothing to do with the flashing of the bios yet as they didn't make the tools which are designed or flawed enough that problems popup all over.

Fortunately with most newer boards its actually quite hard to really brick a motherboard now.
    Worst that happened to my m3n ht deluxe is that the memory disappeared which required re-flashing a different way to fix.