SONY SLP 1.0 PREJECT: VoLUNtEErS NEedED

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by gotfree, Aug 11, 2010.

1. gotfree

gotfree MDL Novice

Mar 20, 2010
    Support needed for new project :)

This is concerning the following: Older versions of SONY Vaio with Intel M/B and Windows XP OEM preinstalled (e.g. SONY Vaio VGC-RB50).

There appears to have been noted, SONY places OEM string in SLP 1.0 in unusual location. I had no success while trying to insert the OEM string into bios. This is a project to find out, in which SMBIOS table type Sony inserts the string. Evidently, this is not the usual place, and possibly this is Table type = 11 (just the assumption).

I have found very interesting app on the web, by the name SMBIOS.exe, which would give the answer.

For the project, I would need anyone, who has the above mentioned systems and are willing to perform the experiment. Anyone, who would be interesting, please pm.

2. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    I am sorry, but there is nothing interesting about it

It is perfectly known that the string goes in these location(s):

[OEMBIOS]
    BIOS=F000,FF80,70,Sony Corporation
    BIOS0=F000,DFC0,40,Sony Corporation
    BIOS1=F000,E800,80,Sony Corporation

You get it by using ie decryptoembios.exe (in Windows Server section) to decrypt oembios.dat

If you want to know if Sony Corporation shows in type 11, just use CrystalDMI

Otherwise use HWDirect or latest SLIC DUMP ToolKit to dump the memory range to see the string being there

sebus