Sony Upgrade - Generic Upgrade Media

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by byghtn3, Jan 30, 2010.

1. byghtn3

byghtn3 MDL Junior Member

Jun 10, 2009
    #1 byghtn3, Jan 30, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2010
    Hello all

I just got a hand full of SONY FREE Windows 7 "UPGRADE" packs.

I installed 1 on my SONY, and tried to install the 2nd on a NON SONY. The NON SONY did not install, it flashed the SONY logo and shut down. There is probably a boot loader that is looking for a SONY signature and could not find it.

My question--
    1 Is there such a thing as Technet RTM "UPGRADE" media that will work with these SONY UPGRADE product keys?

2. Will the standard OEM or RETAIL media work with these keys?
    7600.16385.090713-1255_x86fre_client_en-us_Retail_Ultimate-GRMCULFRER_EN_DVD ?
    7600.16385.090713-1255_x64fre_client_en-us_OEM_Ultimate-GRMCULXFREO_EN_DVD ?

3. I want to do a "CLEAN" install with these keys on NON SONY machines, any advice?

4. Is there any other OEM upgrade media that does not care what machine it installs on? 1 Guy posted here that his installed on his MAC first and activated, then he went to try on the original intended machine. Any Rapidshare links? MD5 numbers?

Thanks
    byghtn3

2. timesurfer

timesurfer MDL Developer

Nov 22, 2009
    #2 timesurfer, Jan 30, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2010
    I think your question might revolve around the model cert. OEM keys are generic but the certs are specific to the computer type and might be dependent on the bios slic?

What version are the new disks or keys. Home, ultimate, etc....?

Maybe you can install the RTM, change the type to whatever version your have with the tools eicfg_removal_utility and windows7_iso_image_edition_switcher and then just use those keys you have on those upgrade disks.

3. byghtn3

Jun 10, 2009
  4. WinFLP

WinFLP MDL Senior Member

Nov 18, 2009
    Any channel should be good (OEM, Retail, and upgrade keys can all be used with OEM, retail, and upgrade media). Though you'll need professional edition media.

You can take the Ultimate ISO you list, and use the ei.cfg removal tool on the ISO. Then when you load the DVD it will ask which edition to install.

5. byghtn3

Jun 10, 2009
    #5 byghtn3, Jan 31, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2010
    (OP)
    Thanks for the reply WinFLP,

If I remove the file as you say,
    wont the disk then ask me to select the version I want, then go through a NEW installation procedure? Is the UPGRADE installation different than the NEW installation? I guess I could give it a try, I just like to have my ducks in a row before I start something

There is a retail upgrade package for upgrading previous installs, what is different about these? can someone make the different files available for downloading & further research? This SONY media is different from the images above, but then again it has been customized by SONY

Thanks
    byghtn3

I was browsing around and found a reference to a procedure called double installation. 1ST install with no key, then immediately install again with key thereby now doing an UPGRADE. What do you think about this?

6. WinFLP

WinFLP MDL Senior Member

Nov 18, 2009
  7. byghtn3

Jun 10, 2009
    WinFLP, Thanks for your continued attention to my question.

You are definitely telling me more stuff that I want to hear. My final question is:

The PID Checker says OEM:NONSLP, but...
    the disc label says "UPGRADE"

Would the PID Checker say UPGRADE? Does it know UPGRADE from NORMAL?

This word UPGRADE is my last concern, as I would prefer CLEAN install to Upgrade or DOUBLE install

Thanks again,
    Byghtn3

8. Phazor

Phazor MDL Expert

Sep 1, 2009
    It said OEM:NONSLP, thats all you need to know.

Whether the disk label says Upgrade or Downgrade or Pizza with Everything is entirely irrelevant so just use a retail disk, get rid of the ei.cfg, do a fresh install, use your key to activate it and enjoy Win7...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...