Sony Vaio and INSYDE BIOS Recovery

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by nev, Jun 2, 2011.

1. nev

nev MDL Novice

May 31, 2011
    Hi all,

I made an attempt to mod the bios of a Sony Vaio VGN CS21S to SLIC 2.1 from 2.0 and to cut a long story short the damaged BIOS is preventing Windows from starting, so I can't reflash back. I can boot into DOS and Linux (Knoppix), but not Windows or Windows setup (any version), nor will it boot in safe mode or repair mode. Every time I get blue screen 0x000000A5 (BIOS is not ACPI compliant)

Can't get any crisis disk key combo to work either, so I assume Sony in their wisdom disabled it. Also trying DOS with FLAs**t (fails "FADT not found"), and Linux/WINE with the original BIOS ended in failure.

Maybe FLASHROM in Linux would work?

Any help is appreciated! Thanks

2. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    maybe repair with PE disc or winternals? sounds like not a bios problem but OS?? with limited infor this is a best guess.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. nev

nev MDL Novice

May 31, 2011
    No I tried Bart PE/UBCD4Win (XP/Win7 flavors) and even Windows setup fails to boot with either STOP 0x000000A5 or 0x0000007B. The BIOS is damaged

Is there a way to patch a temporary BIOS so I can boot into Windows?

4. drewbug

drewbug MDL Member

Aug 15, 2010
    Could you try running "flashrom -r backup.bin" under a Linux live CD and then uploading backup.bin and providing the link? Also, where can I find a copy of your original BIOS? Sony's eSupport site yields no result.

5. nev

nev MDL Novice

May 31, 2011
    Hi guys, sorry for the delay

I tried flashrom, but it won't run due to the device being a laptop (something about EC)

I've been running it as a Linux box for the time being, so it's not completely useless :)

6. jcrax

jcrax MDL Novice

Nov 28, 2007
    Hi nev,
    Did you recover the BIOS? I have the same model, also with the same problem.