Sony Vaio can't modding bios - please help

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by Kassiopaia, Mar 8, 2013.

1. Kassiopaia

Kassiopaia MDL Novice

Oct 16, 2009
  2. Sebashi

Sebashi MDL Novice

Feb 23, 2013
    #2 Sebashi, Mar 9, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    Hi :)
    I've got a VAIO SV-E 1712 C5E that I have unlocked bios .
    There is a SecureFlashDxe module in the bios that will display you " H20 Secure Flash - Invalid firmware image " when trying to flash with Insyde tool your modded Bios; but this is not an RSA signed bios as encountered on other platform.

First, I suggest you to backup your Bios region with Intel FPT from windows or a dos shell.
    To do so, you will have to make a USB bootable Flash disk with only that file on the root, AND, you 'll have to change the boot mode in the bios from UEFI to legacy prior to boot a DOS Usb disk

Using the command
    Code:
    fpt -bios -d YourBiosDump.bin
    This will be helpfull if you brick the laptop, and of course to work on a copy of it.
    You should get a 6656kb file instead of the 9680 kb R0160D6.bin extracted from sony bios executable.

Open it with PhoenixTools 2.14 and mod it (note the recovery file name that would be same as mine with R0160D6 bios Z40X64.FD - displayed Z40X64.f? by the tool but never mind )
    Then simply use the recovery process to flash that modded bin from DOS renamed in the recovery filename.
    In this case, there is no screen or warning before flashing begin, the bios settings here are not important.

1/Let the battery plugged
    2/ Remove the ac cord
    3/ Press FN+ESC keys and while holding them, plug AC cord, wait just 1-2 seconds and press the power button
    4/ Keep the keys for 3 seconds
    5/ release FN+ESC
    6/ deep breath, it should take 65 seconds to flash and sutdown automatically
    7/ Power it ;-p

But be aware that this flashing process don't check anything, if you flash a 4kb size with the recovery name, it will work, the flashing will take 65 s and you will be screwed as the recovery will not be working anymore as the bios would have been erased.
    I have bricked it 6 times because of one strange USB stick or maybe a corrupted copy , even the original dump give me a loop on boot with DVD drive initialization ...
    So be sure to dump it twice and keep an unmodded one if you have only one PC.

3. Sebashi

Sebashi MDL Novice

Feb 23, 2013
    Then if you want to flash securely with FPT, you must change your descriptor settings.
    For that the only trick for now is to connect the pin 1 with the pin 5 of the ALC 269 chip located near to the USB3 port and the line/mic.
    I've done it, it works ;-p

4. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    umm what does ALC269 SOUND chip have to do with bios ????? want to burn sound chip ? :clap3:

5. Kassiopaia

Kassiopaia MDL Novice

Oct 16, 2009
    #5 Kassiopaia, Mar 9, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    (OP)
  6. Sebashi

Sebashi MDL Novice

Feb 23, 2013
    Yes you can rename the R0160D6.bin file into Z40X64.fd and flash it in recovery process, I've done it. The VAIO secure flash key is in the end of the file , and behond EEPROM ( not flashed , just checked on regular flash )

Anyway dump your actual bios in case...

Don't understand when you say "By PhoenixTool a "9.45 MB (9,911,688 bytes)" was issued large file"
    I have opened the original R0160D6.bin with phoenix tools as is....
    But maybe it is related on your SLIC mod when saving ?
    I still use the provided windows 8, I feel it better and it start really quicker than 7, that's why i'm not aware of the slic mod .

7. Sebashi

Sebashi MDL Novice

Feb 23, 2013
    #7 Sebashi, Mar 9, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2013
    [HS]
    Can't post pictures of my board or link because I'm under the 20 post here, but the ALC HDA chip pin 5 (HDA_SDO ) is sampled by the HM76 chipset. So normally it is Low, but if it is set to "high" externally, then the HSFSTS descriptor registers are overriden, and the ME is in debug mode. Then I were able to flash my descriptor from locked to unlocked on ME region (R/W) Bios region (W) Got it from somewhere I can't post the link :D ( <20 post )
    Read the Intel 7 series PCH datasheet (bootstraps section) Or maybe you were kidding me ??? ;-)

[/HS]

8. Sebashi

Sebashi MDL Novice

Feb 23, 2013
    @ Kassiopaia
    Also something interesting maybe, on the VAIO SVE1711 series, the bios to upgrade from seven to windows 8 is different...
    (They were sold with windows 7)
    Check the bios on those boards, they don't have a secure flash module in it .... but don't know if the mainboard is the same, for sure it is based on HM76 also, but for other chip ...

9. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    cool research... post links like this http: //blabla .com/allokeafterspaces

10. Sebashi

Sebashi MDL Novice

Feb 23, 2013
    http protocol www .bios-mods.com/forum/Thread-UEFI-Dell-XPS-15z-L511z-modded-BIOS-and-HOWTO?page=108

11. Kassiopaia

Kassiopaia MDL Novice

Oct 16, 2009
    want to tell me what this contribution?

12. Kassiopaia

Kassiopaia MDL Novice

Oct 16, 2009
    s**t, now brick the bios, no reaction - only power led.... very bad.
    How can I unbrick???

13. Sebashi

Sebashi MDL Novice

Feb 23, 2013
    #13 Sebashi, Mar 9, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2013
    By flashing in recovery mode the dump of your bios region I had suggested you to do with FPT before any mod ...

Try also to reformat your USB stick in fat32 and put a non-corrupted bios Z40X64.fd ... I was once messing with brick each time, even with an original unmoded dump that worked before ... Formatting resolved the problem.

14. Kassiopaia

Kassiopaia MDL Novice

Oct 16, 2009
    #14 Kassiopaia, Mar 9, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2013
    (OP)
    Now are still a rescue way, where the emergency recovery method no longer works?

The problem is the emerency method will no more working, the file is okay, but the flash will no starting (I see no more activity on the USB FlashDrive- Stick).

15. Sebashi

Sebashi MDL Novice

Feb 23, 2013
    I don't know what did you flash ... hope this is the original bios file ?
    Try to open the file that have bricked the laptop with phoenix tools and check the name of the reciovery file.

I have flashed a modded R0160D6.bin extracted from the update from sony site, got a brick and recover with the dump I've done before that with FPT did you did that ?

If the name is wrong, the flashing will be unsuccessfull.... did your laptop shutdown automatically , and after how many seconds ?

16. Kassiopaia

Kassiopaia MDL Novice

Oct 16, 2009
    At the first flash with emergency recovery mode method with a no modding bios I have see the activity of the stick (blinking) and the notebook automaticly reboot - all okay (only the individual informations like UUID, serial, service tag was loose). The notebooks works.

After flashing the renamed bios.mod (*.bin to *.fd) reboot the notebook not self, I wait a long time and push power / hard shutdown.

And now, black screen and only power led, I can't start emergency recovery mode method again, it will not working. I think the bios now is "death", the rescue way was closed with a wrong file.

Sorry for my bad english.

17. Sebashi

Sebashi MDL Novice

Feb 23, 2013
    Open that bios.mod in phoenix tool and check name

18. Sebashi

Sebashi MDL Novice

Feb 23, 2013
    #18 Sebashi, Mar 9, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2013
    The thing is that when the mod is wrong (uuid lost, tag lost.. ) it's better to put the laptop in its original state and restart the work ... you didn't dump for safety as i suggested ...

19. mariusnet

mariusnet MDL Novice

Mar 29, 2013
    i-m on the same situation
    i done the R0170D5 bios for SE1512W1ESI on Phoenix Tools Dynamic mode and when i try to flash it with InsideFlash says Firmware Image Error

20. mariusnet

mariusnet MDL Novice

Mar 29, 2013
    i was trying to contact Shebashi but the post count problem appear :))