sony vaio insyde h20 bios password recovery help needed

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by dawntodon, May 24, 2015.

1. dawntodon

dawntodon MDL Novice

Feb 1, 2012
    hello,

I had forgotten my bios password and while the laptop can boot into windows ok, I would like to enable the Intel VT feature and can't do so without going into the BIOS nor can I set up boot options, as this laptop doesn't have a boot quick menu available.

It's a Sony Vaio VPCEH32FX. Thank you very much.

2. dawntodon

dawntodon MDL Novice

Feb 1, 2012
    Per cmospwd's wiki:

"On laptops, the password is usually stored in an eeprom on the motherboard and not in the cmos. You need an eeprom programmer/eeprom reader (electronic device) to retrieve the password. If you erase the cmos (ie. cmospwd /k) and if the password is really stored in an eeprom, you won't be able to boot anymore.

You can get/buy eeprom programmer in electronic shops or labs, you need another PC to use it. You can desolder the eeprom with hot air or you can try to "clip" the eeprom. With the eeprom programmer, backup your eeprom and run cmospwd /d /l eeprom_backup. If you don't see the password, you can try to fill the eeprom with zero or FF, don't forget the reset the cmos."

Is this advice saying that the only way to recover the password from acquiring an eeprom programmer? Unfortunately, I don't have the funds at the moment for a purchase like that and it sounds like there's a bit of a learning curve associated with that...and I'd only be interested in recovering the BIOS password this one time (will remove password immediately afterwards). There's another service that I found which sounds like a bit of a gamble, which involves paying $30 for BIOS recovery on ebay. Thank you for your help.

3. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
  4. dawntodon

dawntodon MDL Novice

Feb 1, 2012
    #5 dawntodon, Jul 1, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2016
    (OP)
    thank you for the advice. Sorry for the delay. But I'm still not able to access the bios since I'm prompted with a 16-character code: 79K6-D76K-V8RV-KTV2 rather than the 8 that bios-pw prompts me for. Again, thank you for the past advice and I would appreciate any other ideas. I had since my last request found a way to extract the InsydeH2O installer and tried editting the platform.ini per the advice here on a 713itsupport blog wich I can't link to due to my user status to clear the password and CMOS, to no avail. This is for a Sony Vaio that was released in 2012 with a 2nd gen Core i5 CPU, so it's past the 2010 threshold for bios-pw according to the programmer. Cheers.