Sony Vaio Nvidia GeForce 64 Bit Drivers

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by deathdr0ne, Aug 16, 2009.

1. deathdr0ne

deathdr0ne MDL Novice

Apr 29, 2007
  2. Michel

Michel MDL Expert

Jul 29, 2009
    Thats not a hack :rolleyes:. Did you try to run windows updates ? because my laptop got new drivers for my video card (Ati Mobile X1600) that works with 7

3. deathdr0ne

deathdr0ne MDL Novice

Apr 29, 2007
    It is a hack....if you knew anything about Sony Vaio Laptops that ship with Nvidia graphics cards you would know this.

So here is the unfortunate truth about most Sony Vaio laptops that ship with Nvidia graphics cards. They will only allow you to install Sony approved graphics card drivers, which for most people means no 64-bit OS because Sony doesn't support 64-bit OS's on older machines (mines a VGN-FZ180E and fully capable however).... With the Vista the work around was to download the latest Nvidia drivers and extract them from the setup package, and then using device manager you could click "update driver" and from the advanced tab click have disk and point it to the inf file choosing a card that was similar to what you had on your Sony. It worked just fine....until now with Windows 7. I tried it and it didn't work. It said something about Windows not finding a driver for my version of Windows (yet the package was for 64 bit and Windows 7). So I downloaded the Sony version, extracted the inf....found the lines I needed for the Nvidia Inf file, and inserted them allowing the Nvidia setup to run as normal. Only difference is that Windows says the driver isn't signed but after you click allow it doesn't complain.

So yes it is a hack....perhaps not the greatest of ones, but I'm sure some Sony Vaio owners might appreciate it. Especially the ones that don't want to be stuck with a "Standard VGA graphics" driver running in up to 1280x800 and rated by WinStat @ 1.0 for graphics. My 8400GT is rated now @ 5.9.

4. amarkec

amarkec MDL Novice

Sep 27, 2009
    Thanks

Upgraded to Win 7 64bit today and was anoyed to find Sony doesn't do much suport for 64bit, AND won't let you install direct from NVidia!

So thanks for this solution. Downloaded the file and it works a treat.
    Cheers!

5. deathdr0ne

deathdr0ne MDL Novice

Apr 29, 2007
    You're quite welcome.

6. jmoore2333

jmoore2333 MDL Novice

Nov 27, 2009
    Windows XP 64bit

Do you think you could tell me/share here how and what you edited so I could download the appropriate drivers and get them working for Windows XP 64bit? I also use a Sony Vaio VGN-FZ180E. I appreciate this workaround for when I dual boot into Windows 7, but I also need Windows XP.

Thanks so much

7. jerod825

jerod825 MDL Novice

Oct 6, 2011
    doesnt work

I dont know what im doing wrong i have tried everything and nothing works and when i use yours the computer gets stuck with a black screen after restart i finally install a beta ver and windows stops it please help please VGN-FZ180e Win 7 64bit