Sony Vaio SLIC 2.1 BIOS Are Available (AW series, & maybe more)...

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Yemble, Oct 24, 2009.

1. Yemble

Yemble MDL Novice

Aug 16, 2009
    Sony have released BIOS upgrades across the range of VGN-AWxx laptops. Unfortunately, if a specific model was shipped with Vista, then the BIOS upgrade is only SLIC v2.0. However, the upgrades for those models shipped with Windows 7 is SLIC v2.1.

The really great discovery is that a BIOS from a Windows 7 AW series laptop can be applied successfully to a Vista AW series laptop! For example, you can successfully flash a VGN-AW31M/H with the SLIC 2.1 BIOS from a VGN-AW41MF/H.

So you can now convert an AW series VAIO shipped with Vista Home Premium x86 to Windows 7 Ultimate x64 and activate it with the Dell SLP key and Sony certificate found elsewhere on this forum.

Sorted :D

This may well be true of other current VAIO series.

2. Mujja

Mujja MDL Novice

Jul 31, 2009
    Yemble, which Sony cert did you use, please post a link.

I updated my AW1* with the BIOS for the AW4* as soon as it was availble and used OpaTool to install the SONY cert + Ultimate SLP key and haven't been able to activate.

Which cert and key did you use?

3. FireSokar

FireSokar MDL Member

May 1, 2009
    I use MSDN but glad to know Sony made a big mistake this way. VGN-FW373J shipped with Vista. But the new bios update added VT(had modded myself earlier) but now its included and slic 2.1
    Lets start a list

VGN-FW373J Includes 2.1 & VT
    VGN-FW290 No Bios Update

4. User19

User19 Guest

For my VAIO VGN-NS is since 22nd a bios update to enable VT available.
    Is there SLIC 2.1 inside? I dont want risk bricking my NB to test it because my CPU doesn´t support VT anyway, so normally it would be useless to upgrade....

5. Yemble

Yemble MDL Novice

Aug 16, 2009
    #5 Yemble, Oct 24, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2017
    (OP)
    Download from this page: http://forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/5952

It's the SLIC_2.1_BINS.7z file that you need. The SONY cert is within that.

I used the Dell 342DG-... key and slmgr.vbs -ilc Sony-2.1.XRM-MS to activate Win7 Ultimate x64. I have no boot loaders installed.

6. Yemble

Yemble MDL Novice

Aug 16, 2009
    Check Sony's site and see if any of the VGN-NS models were shipped with Windows 7. If so, then any BIOS upgrade listed against it must, by implication, be SLIC 2.1. If, however, there are no Windows 7 variants, then they will all be SLIC 2.0.

At least this is the case with the BIOS upgrades released for the VGN-AW series.

7. Mujja

Mujja MDL Novice

Jul 31, 2009
    #7 Mujja, Oct 25, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2017
  8. m000

m000 MDL Junior Member

Nov 1, 2009
    I hate to resurrect such an old thread but i just got hold of a VGN-AW310J/H and would love to get SLiC 2.1 on it. however i see no bios update for it on the sony site. can anyone kindly verify what other model bios can be used on this notebook?

TIA