Sony Vaio VGN-CS108D

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by Merolas, Apr 11, 2014.

1. Merolas

Merolas MDL Novice

Apr 11, 2014
    Hi,

I've been given a broken laptop (screen was not working at all). I managed to replace the LCD panel but now I just figured out that it has now a Password on Boot.

It request the Bios password even before boot. I tried to remove and boot without the CMOS battery, nothing do it. Only thing i know is that this is a H2O Insyde Bios.

Is there any way to break thru this password?

Thank you

Max

2. itsmemario1

itsmemario1 MDL Expert

Sep 10, 2012
    #2 itsmemario1, Apr 11, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2014
    I remember (back then) that the CMOS battery had to be removed for 24 hours.

Mabye you can boot from usb or floppy to flash a "new", password-free BIOS ?

The bios update can be found here :

h**p://esupport.sony.com/CA/perl/swu-download.pl?mdl=VGNCS108D&upd_id=5165&os_id=28

Or you get in contact with Sony, proof ownership, recieving a masterpassword. (yes, those still exist)

Or you try to boot from USB installing the plop boot manager, which enables you to boot from CD/Floppy again as plop will be the 1st thing you see on switching on the laptop.

If everything fails, there should also be an emergency boot function.

1.) Turn off laptop
    2.) Attach a USB floppy drive / USB Stick with a small DOS on it and the flash tool/program + bios.
    3.) Remove battery and power
    4.) Press and Hold Fn+B, attach power, switch notebook on.
    5.) Dont mind having Fn+B still pressed, until the floppy starts making noises.
    6.) Leave laptop running for at least 10 mins. and hope that it rebooted.
    7.) If it did not reboot, you have to switch it off and restart it on your own.

You might have to google on different key combinations and/or on how to (re)name the specific files.
    Keep in mind your are doing it on your own risk ! :)

3. Merolas

Merolas MDL Novice

Apr 11, 2014
    Thank you for the prompt answer. I will try removing the battery for longer. Hope this will work. I already tried the Sony support, but as stated, the laptop has been given to me and they expect that the original owner would keep the receipe for 5 years.

Hopefully this will work, i will keep you all posted

4. Merolas

Merolas MDL Novice

Apr 11, 2014
    Well, I tried the option to leave the CMOS battery out for 48 hours, not working, still asking for password on boot.

I would love to try the emergency boot, but I went thru the 49 pages of BIOS TOOLS and I am unable to find a tool suited for my device.

A little help will be greatly appreciated

- New owner of a Sony Paperweight o_O

5. itsmemario1

itsmemario1 MDL Expert

Sep 10, 2012