Sony Windows 7 Upgrades

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by FireSokar, Sep 15, 2009.

1. FireSokar

FireSokar MDL Member

May 1, 2009
    I just purchased a new sony vaio and it qualifys for the 7 upgrade. Just curious how they did it with the Vista upgrade as these laptops still ship with Slic 2.0 not 2.1 - Wondering if they do a Bios Update or if they give out retail keys.

2. chaosman

chaosman MDL Novice

Jul 29, 2009
    would like to know as well

3. vietlapine

vietlapine MDL Novice

Jun 11, 2008
    They'll give you a OEM non SLP key...similar to the one on the bottom of your laptop.

4. will5

will5 MDL Senior Member

Jun 21, 2007
    #4 will5, Sep 16, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2009
    Wondering the same...

If they dont update bios, they will have to give oem non spl keys. oem non spl keys printed on notebook always work? mine doesnt (on vista obviously), so dont know how reliable are they

I think that they will update, but forcing bios update could increase RMA...:rolleyes:

If they update bios, and send oem slp pre activated copies of win7, it will activate on any notebook, besides upgrade program.

So, oem non slp is probably the answer...

5. TeamCanada

TeamCanada MDL Novice

Jul 18, 2009
    I bought an "HP system" not so long ago...which didn't have the "SLIC 2.1" install on it. I ordered the upgrade in which I would assume will be a hp recovery style of disc in which you'll end up doing for an upgrade! Something tells me if the SLIC 2.1 isn't incorporated into the upgrade OEM disc that you'll have to call hp or whowever your brand is for a phone activation for the first time. (just a guess)

I bought the same system just before I was allowed to do the upgrade so I went & bought another system (same model) just for the reciept and did all the online crap & uploaded the reciept & then I was good to go. Of course I took back the other system!

6. ripee

ripee MDL Junior Member

Jun 26, 2009
    If you system has been released onto the market within 6 months of RTM or thereabouts, I'm sure your OEM will support Win7 on it and release an official SLIC 2.1 BIOS update for it.

My HP HDX is still on the market having been released at the end of last November and HP has started to offer Win7-specific drivers on their site, so no doubt the official BIOS update will come in time.

7. FireSokar

FireSokar MDL Member

May 1, 2009
    So

So if it contains a bios upgrade im pretty sure users that share the embedded disc (bios section only) this will be the only way for modified Bios files on Sony laptops. Right now I have 3 different sonys FW-290, FW373J & FW4693 I think the last one was. That last one is the one ill get the update on so in theory if user x posts the bios from there disc for 290 and 373j I could use them and they could use my bios update I get. Free Sony upgrades for all! lol

8. chaosman

chaosman MDL Novice

Jul 29, 2009
    ya we just need the bios update, key and certificates and we can just insert them like normal

9. Mi|enko

Mi|enko MDL Novice

Jan 26, 2008
    What're you guys doing in the meantime? Just bought a FW460J/T (returned my Lenovo) and I've got Slic 2.0 (of course).

10. chaosman

chaosman MDL Novice

Jul 29, 2009
    install windows 7 without a key and do the rearm trick 3 times to get up to 120 days without using a key. sony disc will be out by then