Sorry if this has been discussed:- adding windows 8 Media Centre to Windows 8 Pro RTM

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by theguru, Oct 19, 2012.

1. theguru

theguru MDL Novice

Sep 17, 2012
    Hi all,

I have activated windows 8 RTM (which was obtianed via MSDN) via telephone and all is good.

Now adding Windows Media Center to it i can't seem to find it...

• I have looked in Control panal, system, adding more features is not there,
    • i have looked on the tool bar on the far right under search add features,not there!
    • i have also looked by right clicking on my computer and properties and get more our of windows or add features is also not there...

What am i doing wrong? is it the fact i have activated via telephone and not kms? or the fact i'm only using the wrong key in the first place? and not a media center key...

I have searched the forums and noone seems to have the same problem...

please help

2. bk109

bk109 MDL Senior Member

Aug 12, 2012
    Nah,what you're doing wrong is that your GoogleFu is too weak :) Anyway, for the time being you can't install WMC without losing your activation.You won't wait long for it though,as it'll be released sometime 'round the 26th as a free upgrade for early adopters (otherwise it's a paid addon).
    When it does get released,you'll need to add it via the 'Add features to windows' menu entry,where you'll input the Media Center pack serial when MS releases it next week.

3. theguru

theguru MDL Novice

Sep 17, 2012
    ok thanks it is a strange one as i have a wmc key...i just can't add the feature from anywhere lol....

4. roirraW "edor" ehT

roirraW "edor" ehT MDL Addicted

Sep 1, 2007
    It's probably a blacklisted key now. Did you find the "Add Features to Windows" shortcut (just search for it in the Modern UI)?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. theguru

theguru MDL Novice

Sep 17, 2012
    #5 theguru, Oct 19, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2012
    (OP)
    i found add features to windows but it isn't there unless i'm missing something...??

6. theguru

theguru MDL Novice

Sep 17, 2012
    ok here are the pics....windows pro RTM X64 RTM activated.

features.jpg featuresUI.jpg mycomputer.jpg

where is the option!!.?!?

7. roirraW "edor" ehT

Sep 1, 2007
    Add Features to Windows should have a place where you can add a product key for whatever feature you want to buy. You would type the Windows Media Center key once you have a working one, and then it would add MCE to Windows 8 Pro, but it would activate again using the NEW key (you can only use that key to upgrade from Pro to Pro MCE, though, not to install Pro to begin with in order to have it be Pro MCE from the first boot).

You can also look at the sticky thread for adding MCE to a 8 Pro DVD, but I haven't done it yet and I don't know how that affects activation without reading the details.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. roirraW "edor" ehT

Sep 1, 2007
    This is going to sound strange, but I seem to recall that after using the option to upgrade to MCE that "Add Features" disappears. Correct me if I'm wrong someone else who's already added MCE to their 8 Pro. I have but I remember looking before and there was a difference between a fresh install 8 Pro and one that's already had MCE added: No more "Add Features to Windows". I'm very sure it's NOT the Turn Windows Features On or Off.

9. theguru

theguru MDL Novice

Sep 17, 2012
    sorry if i sound like a newbie(or a pain in the ass!!) but i cannot find the option to add a new key or add MCE posted some pics above...

10. theguru

theguru MDL Novice

Sep 17, 2012
    #10 theguru, Oct 19, 2012
    (OP)

Thanks for your help so far!! it is a head do'er...it is from Technet MSDN...so the Professional i wonder if they have removed it or something for business...shouldn't be though!!...i have activated it on a VM and a physical PC and the options to "get more features" isn't present :0( from what i have read it should be under propertis of my computer for adding the additional features

11. ambidav

ambidav MDL Guru

May 14, 2008
    It's possible you installed windows 8 pro VL, I think there is no option to add media center in this version

12. theguru

theguru MDL Novice

Sep 17, 2012
    #12 theguru, Oct 19, 2012
    (OP)
    that was my guess as someone i know is a technet msdn subscriber...

so my guess is it will be only available as an add on??? on the 26th

13. disc4

disc4 MDL Novice

Apr 10, 2010
    try searching "add features" in metro instead of just "features"

14. theguru

theguru MDL Novice

Sep 17, 2012
    @disc4...i have tried...

guys thanks for all you help i have a feeling from what have read MCE is only available in retail versions not VL which has been mentioned...gutted really not sure why...lol...

so i hope it will be a seperate download at some point its no biggy if i never get it...