Sound card problems w/ Win 7

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by regal, Sep 1, 2009.

1. regal

regal MDL Member

Aug 26, 2009
    I have an EMU 0404 PCI, pretty popular standard soundcard. It only works with windows 7 in ASIO mode, so just dedicated music players like foobar or winamp. I cannot get it to play YouTube or flash, it tries to send the sound to my magic jack phone. I have set the Emu DSP to default but flash still sends the sound to the magic jack phone. Anyone have an idea on how to correct this?

2. coromonadalix

coromonadalix MDL Senior Member

Jul 21, 2009
    EMU will have to provide you a new sets of drivers.

I got rid of my Creative X-Fi X-treme soundcard because of drivers issues ... still in Beta for Windows 7.

I've found a C-Media based 8768 chipset 7.1 soundcard and it rock's under Win7, i have a "what you hear" function that i love the most, no heavy packages to install compared to Creative ones.

And it Works way better than my X-fi, for a 30$ card :)

C-Media chipset based cards, very good quality one's ... and check on the web for C-Media CMI8788 based cards, it's the latest and the best chip made.

Asus Xonar ----- C-Media CMxxxx hidden under the name AV200
    Auzentech X-plosion ----- C-Media CMI8770
    B-Gears B-Enspirer 7.1 ----- C-Media CMI8788

etc ...

3. Michel

Michel MDL Expert

Jul 29, 2009
    I dont have problems with my XFI Extreme Gamer card. Creative already released drivers for it a few months ago :cool:

4. coromonadalix

Jul 21, 2009
    #4 coromonadalix, Sep 1, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2009
    I have the latest X-Fi Xtreme Audio Series Beta Driver v 1.04.0000,
    for my PCI Express X-Fi Xtreme Audio model SB1040.

XFXA_W7DRVBETA_US_1_04_0000.exe = 66.4 megs is very big compared to +/- 10 megs of my cards drivers.

It dosen't work well for me, sometime the volume icon get's a mute icon, the audio enhancements are not complete etc... input's are cancelled and not shown ... and i need the what you hear fuction that i've loved since the sound blaster "live" cards ...

The Creative Updates or The Windows Updates messe's up things,
    if i install them, it's getting worse.

I've had Creative card's since the soundblaster 16 - 32, awe64, awe128, live, audigy 1 and 2, X-Fi ... whanted to buy an Auzentech X-fi forte 7.1

With my Audigy 2, it was better in Win7 with it's native drivers.

sorry ... but for me Creative lost it, im still keeping my card. But until they have a rock solid driver, i'm not using it.

5. gunny2k9

gunny2k9 MDL Junior Member

Aug 26, 2009
    I scrapped creative since Audigy 2 OMG to many bad memories card not being seen by windows drivers issues and like they release like 4 drivers and then oh ur card not supported any more like OMG! pay 60 £ and it treated like sh*t.

for 6 years used on board SoundMax HD audio on my old setup and never once had a problem they made XP/Vista and theres Beta 7 drivers around and they worked ace. new Setup now have a Terratec Aureon 7.1 (Cmedia based 8768+) and OMG card its been out years and theres beta drivers for 7 and they work and theyve just put on there site at Windows 7 Launch Official Drivers will be released

Just seen in latest PCFormat mag articale about Sound Issues in Windows 7 with Creative X-FI (I ll scan it if u like) basicly Creative moaning saying its Microsoft fault with the New Audio Stack OMG !!! WTF creative Audio Stack was changed in Vista you ved had like 2 Years to sort it and instedthey sat on there fat A** doing jack about it. then they moan about Microsoft and the WHQL license OMG why the f*ck can ATi and nVidia have WHQL drivers out 4 months in advanced before 7 released and they still even Support geforce 6/7/8/9 and not just the GTX's

Punch line is if you want sound in 7 DONT use Creative cards

6. coromonadalix

Jul 21, 2009
    #6 coromonadalix, Sep 1, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2009
    I agree with you, i dont know why they "sleep" like this,

Never used Vista more than 30 mins, flushed it, and whaited for Win7 ...

I'm checking C-Media's based cards around the C-Media CMI8788 Oxigen Audio, they have better reviews than Creative's one ??? less hassles and problems, maybe the one's with swapppable Op's amp from Auzentech.

7. Bloodbat

Bloodbat MDL Novice

Aug 1, 2009

8. SirSilentBob

SirSilentBob MDL Senior Member

Jun 5, 2009
    I second the cards with the C-Media based chip sets. I have an HT Omega Striker 7.1 (CMI8770 chip). Never had any issues with it. Creative's drivers are just so heavy and bloated. I mean, a download of over 100 megs, just to allow a sound card to work? C'mon! All that bloatware and other inflated crap. If anyone is looking for a decent, rock solid sound card, and not all the extra fancy software, then I can definitely recommend the HT Omega Striker 7.1. And I am sure that all other C-Media based cards are just as good!

9. Sophophilic

Sophophilic MDL Novice

Oct 29, 2009
    #10 Sophophilic, Oct 29, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2009
    Didn't want to start another thread:

I just installed Windows 7 64bit Ultimate and my Creative sound card isn't being recognized, at all. It shows up in device manage as a "Multimedia Audio Controller" but W7 isn't seeing it as an actual sound card. It says that the drivers for the device aren't installed but attempting to do has Creative's driver installation reject the install process because I don't have an audio card.

It was working in Vista 64bit Enterprise just yesterday.

The card is, as far as I remember, the Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi ExtremeMusic

Has this been seen before, or did my card just die with incredible timing?

Edit: Sometime in the next few days I'll plug my Vista HDD's back in and make sure that it still works there.

10. DKnight2066

DKnight2066 MDL Junior Member

Jul 19, 2009
    #12 DKnight2066, Oct 29, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2009
    <Slightly Off-Topic>
    @SirSilentBob - Creative's Firmware/Driver support for their "Creative ZEN Xtra" line of MP3 players was absolutely atrocious as well, as far as my opinion goes. Do a Google about upgrading the firmware. It BRICKS more models than it helps, and unless you upgrade to the latest firmware, you have zero support for Vista/Win7. I'll go back to Archos for all my MP3 player needs. My old, 2GB HDD Archos player, may it rest in peace, had -better- sound than my current Creative Labs player does, with all it's bloatware "EAX Audio" whatnot. It used a simple Equalizer, but it improved the overall "feel and body" of each song far better than any of the EAX Effects included in my "Creative Zen Xtra" player. A total -lack- of Bass Boost is what sealed the deal for me. Everything I read before I bought it said nothing about the firmware horrors, or lack of Bass Boost. It's worked fine since Sept 2004, however I can't help but think that my $300 could have bought me more, had I chosen another Archos product, rather than giving in to the hype of Creative Labs.
    </OffTopic>

You'd think that with Sound Card drivers upwards of 100mb, they would count for something, but as you said, it's all bloatware nowadays.
    Sad really.

--DKnight

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  11. regal

regal MDL Member

Aug 26, 2009
    try pulling the card, boot windows, shutdown, install card, the start windows again.