Sound Driver missing

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by tonyrjkdavis, Jun 6, 2010.

1. tonyrjkdavis

tonyrjkdavis MDL Novice

Apr 25, 2010
    Got a Packard Bell desktop iXTREME model 6072.Installed a fresh copy of XP which runs OK ...BUT...cannot get any sound from the PC at all (was working before?).
    In device manager it shows an error on the "Multimedia Audio Controller" and I try and install driver but it doesnt find any.I am pretty sure that I need a Audio driver from Packard Bell but their website is not great (think they have gone bankrupt!!)...cant even find that model number on there?
    On system info - components - it shows "Unimodem half-duplex audio device" but not too sure if this is the problem.
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks,Tony.

2. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
  3. tonyrjkdavis

tonyrjkdavis MDL Novice

Apr 25, 2010
    Tito, thanks for the reply.
    Tried that link but not too sure which driver I am after??
    I am looking at audio drivers but it gives 2 options......either audio a.....or audio b.
    And when I choose the option it asks RUN or SAVE....what should I do?
    Thanks,Tony.

4. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
  5. tonyrjkdavis

tonyrjkdavis MDL Novice

Apr 25, 2010
    Ok can I just check a couple of things.....
    When I save the two files it automatically puts them into a place called other-X.
    Do I need to save them in a different place?
    Do I then need to copy all 3 files to CD?
    Do I need to run CD to make the files work?

Please bear with the novice!!
    Thanks,Tony.

6. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
  7. tonyrjkdavis

tonyrjkdavis MDL Novice

Apr 25, 2010
    Urie, have downloaded all files (audio a and Audio b plus BASE) and also copied them to CD but still no sound from computer?
    this is starting to drive me nuts!!!!!

I have downloaded drivers from all places now...even from the SIS website (found the motherboard model number etc).
    Running out of ideas now??

Shall I just buy a new sound card and install that to get the sound working??

Thanks,Tony.

8. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    @ tonyrjkdavis, im not being funny but are you pluging into correct socket not the first time i have been to computers and peeps have plugged into the green jack on the modem by mistake.

9. zedbra

zedbra MDL Novice

Jun 7, 2010
    i had this problem recently with XP. downloaded and installed the Realtek drivers several times... no luck. well actually it worked once for a week and then quit again. ultimately i reinstalled XP, this time making sure the Speakers were plugged in and on. guess what it worked. dunno if this is the case for you, but although kooky, it worked.

i may have read this in your post, but gotta make sure.... is this for an audio card or onboard audio??

10. tonyrjkdavis

tonyrjkdavis MDL Novice

Apr 25, 2010
    this is for an on board audio.
    Got me thinking on the green plug lol just checking all slots now to see if I can hear any sound!!
    Thank you all for the info and I realise how easy some mistakes are sometimes so always make the suggestion!!...............I dont get offended easily lol.
    Regards,Tony.

11. zedbra

zedbra MDL Novice

Jun 7, 2010
    NP bro, just let us know if you get it resolved:)

12. greyaburton

greyaburton MDL Addicted

Mar 8, 2009
    try running windows update to see if the audio drivers you need are listed.if so,click to download and install.