Sound Issues on Windows 7

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by mpmahon, Mar 10, 2011.

1. mpmahon

mpmahon MDL Novice

Mar 9, 2011
    I have recently installed Windows 7 and I am finding that on my HP Pavillion Media Center PC (m7750n) there is now no sound. Windows 7 can't see / recognise my Audio Output Device.

Any thoughts?

2. hbhb

hbhb MDL Expert

Dec 15, 2010
    Yeah i have one :
    Verify the driver/uninstall/reinstall/ update/
    I assume it was working b4 right? go to the HP site and install driver.

3. mpmahon

mpmahon MDL Novice

Mar 9, 2011
    I tried that, went to support site, punched in my product (m7750n) and the only software/driver they offer is the LightScribe System Software Update... which is for the DVD, not for the Audio Device.

4. OldMX

OldMX MDL Addicted

Jul 30, 2009
    Install latest drivers for Realtek High Definition Audio, grab them from filehippo.com

5. 皆さんこんにちはマギです

Feb 24, 2011
    #5 皆さんこんにちはマギです, Mar 11, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    I also have an HP Pavilion Entertainment Notebook :)

The reason you do not see any drivers is because you're looking under the wrong OS.
    Look in Vista, it's the same driver.
    that's what i do, eventually HP will get around to updating the drivers list.

Take a look here, i found the drivers you need under Audio: (assuming your running x32)
    Code:
    hxxp://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?os=2093&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&sw_lang=&product=3339301#N152
    if you're running x64:
    Code:
    hxxp://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?os=2100&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&sw_lang=&product=3339301#N152

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. mpmahon

mpmahon MDL Novice

Mar 9, 2011
    Thank you all for your support but I'm afraid it didn't work. Tried the Vista driver and I get an error box: "Your system does not meet the minimum requirements for this update. Update has been cancelled. (9998)

Yes, I am running 32bit OS

Drat!

7. anipsl

anipsl MDL Novice

Feb 18, 2010

Hi,
    I had the same problem when I installed Win7 on my HP Media Centre PC. The drivers are supposed to be installed during setup but none were detected. I tried the afore mentioned fixes but to no avail.

In the end I got audio working by removing the sound card and refitting the same sound card. On reboot Win7 detected the missing drivers and installed them automatically.

Job done...........Simples......Hope this helps......

Cheers.........

8. greyaburton

greyaburton MDL Addicted

Mar 8, 2009
    try running windows update.can find some drivers that way

9. mpmahon

mpmahon MDL Novice

Mar 9, 2011
    Hi Anipsl,

Unfortunately, I am using the onboard sound device. So I can't take it out. I have tried uninstalling in device manager, it recognises and reinstalls 4 different "NVIDIA Hight Definition Audio" devices but again... the speaker icon on the task bar has a red x and when you hover over it a message pops up "No Audio Output Device is installed".

@ greyburton - tried that too

Thanks again guys!

10. NICK@NUMBER11

NICK@NUMBER11 MDL Expert

Mar 23, 2010
    goole and install "Vista_Win7_R257" works for me
    Realtek High Definition Audio Driver for Vista/Win7 32/64 ;)

11. mpmahon

mpmahon MDL Novice

Mar 9, 2011
    No go Nick. I get an error box appear during installation - "Install Realtek HD Audio Driver Failure !! [Error Code: 0x00000002]"

Oh well....

12. Alphawaves

Alphawaves Super Moderator/Developer
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2008
    mpmahon is your Bios upto date (have you checked on HP support site for a Bios / firmware updates) if its in need of an update it should fix issues.

13. mpmahon

mpmahon MDL Novice

Mar 9, 2011
    @ alphawaves, I have looked at the HP support site and there is nothing under Windows 7. Under Vista there are 4 x firware upgrades but it is all for the DVD rom. Underthe BIOS upgrade there is one upgrade released in 2007. I tried running it but nothing happened.

Thanks again to everyone for the help!

14. Alphawaves

Alphawaves Super Moderator/Developer
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2008
    #14 Alphawaves, Mar 18, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2011
    You would need to run the bios update from vista, not 7 ;)

EDIT: My test pc is a HP Pavillion Media Center PC (m7580uk) the last bios update (2007) could only be executed from vista\xp.

15. greyaburton

greyaburton MDL Addicted

Mar 8, 2009
    sometimes you have to do a force install of the drivers.even though you run the installer for your audio device,the drivers might not install.try this.in device manager,click on where you see your audio device once.then on top of the window,click on update driver.then click on browse my computer.click on the browse button.then find the folder that you have the driver download in.select that.that might work.i had to do it that way with my older computer and it used sound max drivers.good luck.

16. mpmahon

mpmahon MDL Novice

Mar 9, 2011
    I am getting nowhere with this. I even wrote Realtek and have had no response. Anyone got any other ideas?

17. van.deepre@gmail.com

Mar 21, 2011
    normally vista drivers works fine windows 7 so i reccon to find driver for vista and install it.

18. mpmahon

mpmahon MDL Novice

Mar 9, 2011
    Thanks acrsn, I have tried all that.
    The issue is that it HAS actually identified 4x HD sound devices and has installed the 4 instances of them (without any exclamation marks - they are labelled "Digital Audio (HDMI) High Definition Audio Device) - all four are labelled as HDMI outputs but my computer doesn't have a single HDMI output and when I connect headphones or speakers to the standard jack it is saying there are no speakers or headphones connected.

19. willpower101

willpower101 MDL Novice

Apr 20, 2011
    wiping might be a bad idea. Here's the situation I'm in.

Hp touchsmart with a failed HD, so NO recovery parition.
    New HD, +2.1 slic in bios and windows 7.
    Searching the touchsmart iq500 drivers area on hp gives me a plethora of supposedly windows 7 compatible drivers.

However EVERY ONE OF THEM fails and says "Your system does not meet the minimum requirements for this update. Update has been canceled. (9996)"
    Or sometimes 9998.

What does this mean?

[can't post a link]the-computer-site.com/update-has-been-cancelled
    It means that in the process of installing from scratch, the system no longer knows it's a touchsmart (or whatever your system may be) as such, the updates fail.

I believe I read a way to fix this before, but I'm not entirely sure how. Also I have no idea how to fix the 9998 error, when the drivers clearly state they are win7 compatible.