Sound stops working, then online videos stop playing? Help!

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by supashaka, Feb 29, 2016.

1. supashaka

supashaka MDL Junior Member

Mar 19, 2015
    #1 supashaka, Feb 29, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 29, 2016
    I upgraded to W10 from W7 roughly a month ago, all worked fine (except several issues with cortana, which I gave up on, and the Windows start button freezing, which started after about 3 weeks and which I eventually fixed by uninstalling all windows apps, then reinstalling. I think Cortana was the culprit).

2 days ago while watching iplayer the sound completely cut out, when I paused the video to see if I could fix the sound the video refused to play again. Trying to open new tabs with other videos such as youtube resulted in the videos not starting up at all, youtube would sometimes show a loading symbol in the video and it would be always buffering, but refused to play.

On top of this sometimes when I would check the internet connection symbol in the task bar it would say 'not connected' even though I could load up websites fine (just the video had problems) although most of the time it would show as 'connected'.

These problems usually start after 5-10 mins of starting a video, and only last around half an hour before fixing themselves, sound suddenly starts up again and videos play, but then it all happens again.

I've tried updating sound drivers, disabling all audio enhancements, I don't have any other devices to change the default device however. I've also run malware bytes just to rule out viruses etc. Plugging in headphones and system restart make no difference, it just seems to fix itself after a certain amount of time.

Under device manager-Sound, video and game controllers It says 'AMD High definition audio device' and 'Realtek High definition audio' are working properly. I'm not sure which one of these 2 are my sound card drivers?

This is the worst problem I've encountered on any of my devices so far, I never had any real problems when I built roughly a year ago running W7. It seems like more than just a sound driver problem since video stops playing also. In addition to this I also happened to install Andy ( Android emulator) and sound and video runs fine in that VM. This seems to point to this being an OS problem...why would W10 suddenly start behaving like this?

Hope someone can help! I will try a system restore/ clean install as a last resort but am hoping that's not necessary. I mainly want to stay with W10 due to Direct X 12. Here is my build:

CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1231 V3 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor (£219.91 @ Dabs)
    Motherboard: MSI Z97 PC MATE ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£64.99 @ Amazon UK)
    Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory (£29.95 @ More Computers)
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£37.00 @ Amazon UK)
    Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 285 2GB Video Card
    Case: Corsair SPEC-03 Red ATX Mid Tower Case (£46.98 @ Dabs)
    Power Supply: XFX TS 650W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply (£64.41 @ Amazon UK)
    Monitor: BenQ GL2250HM 60Hz 21.5" Monitor (has internal speakers, my default sound device)(£88.72@Amazon)
    Keyboard: Cooler Master CM Storm Devastator Gaming Bundle Wired Gaming Keyboard w/Optical Mouse (£26.99 @ Novatech)
    Total: £578.95

2. lobo11

lobo11 TOMAHAWK CHOP

Feb 16, 2012
    I would try In ADMIN Cmd Prompt type sfc /scannow may take up to 3 times
    press enter on keyboard

Then if that does not work Make sure you have correct AMD driver installed, uninstall driver from device manager, install new one before rebooting if necessary, good luck.:D

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. supashaka

Mar 19, 2015
    Thanks, scan came back as no integrity violations. I did already update drivers using drivebooster. I know people say those programs are bad but I've always used it and never had problems in the past. But the fact that sound and video runs fine in Andy when it stops in W10, doesn't this suggest it's a W10 problem rather than drivers? If not let me know, thanks.

4. lobo11

lobo11 TOMAHAWK CHOP

Feb 16, 2012
    #4 lobo11, Feb 29, 2016
    In device manager uninstall driver, then reboot, windows will install driver on reboot, see if that solves it:D

If that does not work, AMD website I believe has a auto detect function, use that to download driver to your desktop, uninstall current driver through device manager, without rebooting, install driver from AMD. Then reboot.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. supashaka

Mar 19, 2015
    I tried uninstalling the driver and rebooting but it didn't work. When I go to AMD's site they direct me to download Catalyst which I already have.

The thing is, it's not just sound. The video stops working. Sometimes after the sound returns the video still won't play. Is it still possible that the problem is the audio drivers? And it also works in Andy...

6. lobo11

lobo11 TOMAHAWK CHOP

Feb 16, 2012
    #6 lobo11, Feb 29, 2016
    I don't know then, maybe someone else here:worthy::worthy:

EFA11 help, lol

7. MS_User

MS_User MDL Guru

Nov 30, 2014
    see if their catalsyt for vista if not try 7,8 one of them has to work.

8. lobo11

lobo11 TOMAHAWK CHOP

Feb 16, 2012
    #8 lobo11, Feb 29, 2016
    Just trying everything now:
    Bring up ADMIN Cmd prompt, type or copy/paste chkdsk /r /f , and press enter on your keyboard, then a
    Y, then reboot, it now checks your disk for errors and fixes them.

If that does not work, try uninstalling then reinstalling iplayer, sometimes registry cleaners remove things they should not, good luck:D

9. WindowsGeek

WindowsGeek MDL Expert

Jun 30, 2015
    have u check your specs that is windows10 compatible?

10. lobo11

lobo11 TOMAHAWK CHOP

Feb 16, 2012
    #10 lobo11, Feb 29, 2016
  11. atgpud2003

atgpud2003 MDL Addicted

Apr 30, 2015
    Make sure you download 64bits driver for intel chipset, Audio driver from MSI website and also, download ATI Drivers that support WHQL Support.. Sometime during upgrade from Windows 7 to 10 (x64) Should always re-download for newer driver support for Windows 10! Good luck!

12. supashaka

Mar 19, 2015
    Ok so things got much worse, I contacted Microsoft online support via remote PC, but they couldn't help and just said to do a clean install. It definitely wasn't about the sound drivers.

The Windows start button froze, then the task bar and all icons, and now the whole desktop has disappeared and is completely black. I have to use task manager to perform everything unfortunately.

I'm considering going back to W7 with a clean install (not downgrade) but I'm wondering, I activated W10 during the free period. When it becomes paid for in a few months will I then have to pay if I decide to return to W10 in the future, or will it be free because I 'activated' W10 while it was free?

I would assume that if I 'downgraded' back to W7 without a clean W7 install that I would lose my W10 license, but is it different if I do a clean W7 install? Just curious as to whether Microsoft have said anything regarding this.

Also I'm hoping in the future Microsoft will have made W10 stable like W7, where is the best place to keep up with W10 update news? Is there a link for W10 update history??

13. lobo11

lobo11 TOMAHAWK CHOP

Feb 16, 2012
    #14 lobo11, Mar 1, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2016
  14. supashaka

Mar 19, 2015
    Thanks for the W10 update link :) the problem was never iplayer itself (I used the website not the app) I was just giving it as an example but the problem happened with any online videos no matter which site.

I can't see fiddling around with drivers actually solving this problem ( I did try updating drivers) even in compatibility mode, unless somebody can explain how it would, since as I said the problem got far worse. I'm hoping someone can still answer my other Q:

I'm considering going back to W7 with a clean install (not downgrade) but I'm wondering, I activated W10 during the free period. When it becomes paid for in a few months will I then have to pay if I decide to return to W10 in the future, or will it be free because I 'activated' W10 while it was free?

15. endbase

endbase MDL Guru

Aug 12, 2012
    It will be the same as your system is HWID activated allready ;)

16. supashaka

Mar 19, 2015
    So it will always be free to go back to W10 once activated within the free upgrade period, I suspected as much, thanks!

Another Q: Is it better to make a seperate partition for Windows and install it on that? I usually only have 1 big partition but thought if that gets filled up and it also contains the OS, it might slow down the system?

17. lobo11

lobo11 TOMAHAWK CHOP

Feb 16, 2012
    Yes another partition, separate:tea: :)

18. supashaka

Mar 19, 2015
    what 's the ideal size should I make system patiton? My hard drive is 1tb. Also how do I make sure the os is installed on that partition?

19. lobo11

lobo11 TOMAHAWK CHOP

Feb 16, 2012
    I make mine probably alittle large but just want to make sure it has enough space for all programs, mine are 100 GB, you select where to put OS when you install OS, it will ask where you want it.:D