Sound volume gets decreased if other programs produce sound

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by .Matt., Mar 30, 2010.

1. .Matt.

.Matt. MDL Novice

Jan 10, 2010
    Hi,

as you can see in the thread title, I am currently having the problem that when I listen to music through iTunes, the sound volume gets decreased if another program produces sound (games, browsers, pretty much everything). Is there a way to prevent this from happening? I'm using Win7 Ultimate

Thanks in advance :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. BDX

BDX MDL Junior Member

Jul 29, 2009
    #2 BDX, Mar 30, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2010
    It's called clipping and you can solve it by switching iTunes to Foobar2000 and use WASAPI plugin. It prevents other programs to produce sound because it uses exclusive mode. I made some research and it seems that iTunes indeed has WASAPI too but it doesn't function in exclusive mode.

3. .Matt.

.Matt. MDL Novice

Jan 10, 2010
    Thanks for the quick reply. However, I want the other programs to still produce sound but from what I know and from reading your reply I assume this is not possible without clipping or reducing iTunes' volume?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Whiznot

Whiznot MDL Member

Nov 5, 2009
    I use MediaMonkey with Windows 7. Mediamonkey is faster than Itunes and it has many more features. There is no volume problem such as you describe with MediaMonkey abd you can skin it to look like Itunes.

5. .Matt.

.Matt. MDL Novice

Jan 10, 2010
    I'll give that a try then, does it work with iPods? (touch 2g)

6. Whiznot

Whiznot MDL Member

Nov 5, 2009
    MediaMonkey does sync with Ipods. Although MediaMonkey is free there is a Gold version that is not free. Visit the site to determine whether the premium features are worth the cost. When I first started using MM the free version did not monitor music folders for changes so I bought a lifetime license for the premium version. MM has since added folder monitoring to the free version.

7. Whiznot

Whiznot MDL Member

Nov 5, 2009
    There is a setting that might have lowered volume. Under Sounds in the Control Panel the Communications Tab defaults to reduce volume of other sounds by 80% when Windows detects communications activity.

8. .Matt.

.Matt. MDL Novice

Jan 10, 2010
    I already set that to 'do nothing', thanks for the hint though :)

9. LQQL

LQQL MDL Addicted

Apr 21, 2009
  10. wrxnofx

wrxnofx MDL Novice

Feb 5, 2011
    Hi all!

Newbie to this forum because I just got a new computer with Win 7 64-bit and experienced the exact same thing when playing music through iTunes on my computer. In searching online for solution I came across this post. Rather than suggesting a band-aid to your problem like using another application (really?), I thought I'd offer the actual solution to your problem. If you Select the Enhancements tab in the Speaker Properties dialog box, select the "Disable all sound effects" check box. That fixed this problem for me. I'd post a pic but I have to have 20 posts for some stupid reason. If you look at the image in the post just above mine you'll see the Enhancements tab.

11. sapsap

sapsap MDL Novice

Dec 10, 2011
    I hate "necroing" an old thread, but I have this exact problem, and nothing mentioned here helped.

@last post, there is no "Enhancements" tab in my Speaker Properties.

12. idsk

idsk MDL Junior Member

Aug 25, 2009
    try this

(i dont have an english version of windows to explain by myself where to go, so i copy this from a website)

1) Open Windows Control Panel and click the Sound icon. Alternatively, right click the sound icon on Notification Area (a.k.a. System Tray) and select Sounds option from the context menu.

2) Click on the Playback tab, select the active sound device (the one with green tick label) and click the Properties button.

3) Go to Advanced tab and disable the “Exclusive Mode” options, i.e. uncheck the box with description of “Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device” (highlighted in yellow colour)

Disable-Exclusive-Control-Of-Sound-Devices-In-Windows-7.jpg

13. sapsap

sapsap MDL Novice

Dec 10, 2011
    Yes, that fix was explained on the previous page of the thread, and did not work.

Thank you for your time, though.

EDIT: Looks like it might have solved itself out now. I don't know how or why. Weird.