Sound?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by killercat, Jun 21, 2010.

1. killercat

killercat MDL Member

May 28, 2010
    okay first let me ask you guys whether you get a CLICK sound from your computer while switching it OFF? I do. and the reason im posting this here is because - recently,after i installed 1gb ram more and a 500gb hd this CLICK sound that comes while the computer is shutting down is heard even while the computer is in use/working. Is it weird? is there any problem with :confused:the computer?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. tcntad

tcntad MDL Guru

Oct 26, 2009
    Could be the harddrive..

3. killercat

killercat MDL Member

May 28, 2010
    the new one right.. let me tell you, 2 days back i had the new hd crash and it took abt 16 hours to recover :S.. im wondering if it would give the same problem again..luckily i dint loose any data

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. tcntad

tcntad MDL Guru

Oct 26, 2009
    Let me tell you.. a defect psu, motherboard, ram memorysticks, cables can bring down a hdd.. or it couldve been faulty from the factory..
    And you should always have atleast 1 backup of everything you dont want to loose..

Could also be something else.. the psu or capacitors..

5. kubato

kubato MDL Member

Jul 29, 2009
  6. burfadel

burfadel MDL EXE>MSP/CAB

Aug 19, 2009
    The noise could be one of two things, a mechanical click or an electrict tick. The mechanical click will come from the hard drive, and is caused by some adjustment mechanism inside the drive. Newer hard drives have this feature, but it shouldn't happen that often. This noise could be caused by a faulty disk or a low/noisy/changing power. All three are caused by a faulty PSU, however if you are using a Molex connector and a fan attached to it as well then the fan could be causing the power to be noisy or changing (if it adjusts its speed).

An electrical tick can come from the PSU, motherboard or video card etc, but if its only when you have the new components in again it comes down to the new components affecting the power.

Post your full system specs, brands and rough component age and we can work things out from there. Some issues will not be picked up by any testing due to the nature of the issue.

If the drive is making that noise due to being faulty, its most likely caused by rough transport.

7. killercat

killercat MDL Member

May 28, 2010
    well i heard the sound coming mostly after i installed the new ram..but lets see here are my system specs..o_O

Attached Files:

8. rupsd

rupsd MDL Senior Member

May 27, 2010
    i'm replying...hieeee!!
    Well i too have sound problems but that's due to audio drivers

9. killercat

killercat MDL Member

May 28, 2010
    did you read the post? :punch::fear:clearly? LOL :D

10. rupsd

rupsd MDL Senior Member

May 27, 2010
    i know you are discussing about your new hdd.Well others are helping .Aren't they??
    i just said hii. so what's so funny??

11. killercat

killercat MDL Member

May 28, 2010
    i say lol for no reason :hypo::sad:

12. killercat

killercat MDL Member

May 28, 2010
    :D i found a solution to the click sound.. that is - Power Options - change plan settings - change power advanced settings - Hard Disk (mine was selected on Turn off hard disk after 20 mins.) i just made it to never :biggrin: and dint hear the click sound anymore. :rolleyes: but i still got no idea why my hd crashed earlier:(:confused:

13. bluealien

bluealien MDL Member

Mar 2, 2010
    Just a quick question. After you adjusted the power settings, is the click sound also gone when you shut down your computer?
    I have the same issue with an hp laptop in our office and I'm just curious. It clicks once everytime it is shut down, i guess for about a year now. I always thought it might be a faulty drive.

14. jendra

jendra MDL Novice

Jun 24, 2010
    According to me I t comes from Mother boards Only.It comes from inbuilt speaker of Motherboards.

15. killercat

killercat MDL Member

May 28, 2010
    yes it does come.. i think thats normal :rolleyes:

16. Phazor

Phazor MDL Expert

Sep 1, 2009
    The click sound occurs when the harddrive is retracting the actuator, away from the platters onto the actuator (-parking) ramp.

This is done so the heads do not make direct contact with the platters, which can be detrimental (due to stiction) to both the platter surfaces and the heads.

Older drives of some manufacturers do not make that click sound as they used to park the heads in a parking zone directly on the platters.

Two brands i know to use parking ramps for quite some time are Hitachi (who invented the system) and Western Digital.