soundmax intergrated digital hd audio support 5.1 speaker system?how to find?

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by Chana, Nov 9, 2009.

1. Chana

Chana MDL Novice

Mar 30, 2009
    LAPTOP---- HP compaq 6720s

does my sound card--soundmax intergrated digital hd audio-- support 5.1 speakers... how to know that?....

i have only one port for sound output(headphone port)......and have 3 cables from the 5.1 sound system....

2. alextheg

alextheg MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2009
    If you have hd audio then I would say yes, 5.1 would be supported. Cheque sound properties in control panel. Try to configure speakers as 5.1, if you have support then you will be able to do this. BTW, computers and hd audio is a little misleading. There onl a few soundcards around right now that give real hd audio and they are not cheap. Really manufacturers should be honest and advertise as hq audio not hd. Multi channel sound does not equal hd. :D:D

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Chana

Chana MDL Novice

Mar 30, 2009
    Hii...thanks for the reply

i have vista 32bit os and when i go to the sound properties it has only stereo option and no 5.1 or anything.....

and i have the latest driver update taken from the HP website and it says "hd" audio

so still no luck....any more ideas?

4. alextheg

alextheg MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2009
    #4 alextheg, Nov 10, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2009
    In that case I doubt your laptop supports 5.1 .please post a link for your make and model and I will look into it further. :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Chana

Chana MDL Novice

Mar 30, 2009
    thanks loads! :D

ok
    my laptop model ---- HP Compaq 6720s
    CPU ----Intel(R)core(TM)2 Duo T5750 @ 2.00GHz
    Soundcard ---SoundMAX integrated Digital HD Audio (Manufacturer : Analog devices)

6. Chana

Chana MDL Novice

Mar 30, 2009
    helllo any body who knows about this problem?

7. alextheg

alextheg MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2009
    Hello again.
    Well i've done some digging around and unfortunately your laptop does not support 5.1 audio. Basically your laptop is aimed at the business market hence no real extra's such as 5.1 audio. :D:D

8. Chana

Chana MDL Novice

Mar 30, 2009
    :( hey thanks a lot both of you...... just please tell me, even my laptop does not support 5.1, if i get a 5.1 USB audio device will it work?? ......

thanks again

9. alextheg

alextheg MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2009
    As Groovesection posted, if you add a soundcard then yes your laptop will be capable of 5.1 sound. Personally I don't think a desktop can be beaten for multimedia. :D

10. Chana

Chana MDL Novice

Mar 30, 2009
    yes your right ..... thanks a lot for your time... :D

11. alextheg

alextheg MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2009
    Your welcome. :)

12. Mykl8

Mykl8 MDL Novice

Jan 19, 2011
    I know this thread is old but I have a similar problem...

I have an Asus P5Q-E motherboard with Soundmax Digital HD Audio.

I know it supports 5.1 analog because I'm using a 5.1 surround system. (there are 6 mini jack ports on mobo 7.1?)

I am now using the digital out (fiber optic) to my Amp to watch movies and play games on my tv.

My problem is its stereo and I dont have the option to change it... Doesn't it support 5.1 digitally???