SP1 Activation on Dell Dimension E510

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by That_Guy, Jul 6, 2008.

1. That_Guy

That_Guy MDL Novice

Jul 4, 2008
    I've been trying to get vista SP1 activated on my computer for the last week. I've tried VistaLoader vers. 2.2, 2.1.3, 3.0.0.1. I've tried Vista Extreme, and a couple of other activated copies and none of them activate. I've tried a using voatktools 2.2 to remove the activation cracks and change the different editions to retail and OEM versions to try to get the different activators to work. I've also tried an activator that is supposed to be a developers activation, but that didn't work either. The different tool all show a meesage that activation will be completed on reboot, but none has worked.

Every time I have installed a different copy of vista, I've formatted my drive while installing.

My BIOS is Pheonix (10-13-05) ver. A02

I would really appreciate advice on what to try next.

2. That_Guy

That_Guy MDL Novice

Jul 4, 2008
    I've updated my BIOS to ver. A07 through the Dell website and I still can't get any cracks to work.

I downloaded Everest to see if I have a SLIC table, but I don't see it anywhere. I might not be looking in the right place, though. It would be listed under BIOS?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

3. reginakampher

reginakampher MDL Addicted

Apr 5, 2008
    #3 reginakampher, Jul 7, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2008
    Use ACPIScope instead of Everest to check for SLIC table in your BIOS. After installing ACPIScope, go to "File" then "Load ACPI Information". Choose "From BIOS" and give it few seconds to load the information. Go to "File" again and choose "Save As". Save it with the default .ats extension and upload it. I or someone will take a look your .ats file.

Once we look at your .ats file, we can then steer you in the right direction.

4. That_Guy

That_Guy MDL Novice

Jul 4, 2008
    Here's my scope file. Thank you for your help. This has been driving me crazy for the last week.

Attached Files:

5. bmb

bmb MDL Novice

Jun 1, 2008
    Hi
    Try with this ver VistaLoaderV2.0
    My one works with this.

6. reginakampher

Apr 5, 2008
    #6 reginakampher, Jul 7, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2008

Attached Files:

7. That_Guy

That_Guy MDL Novice

Jul 4, 2008
    Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyy

Thank you so much for the help! :D I tried VL 3.0.0.1 again and again it did not work. Then I tried VL 2.0 and it worked on the first try. I don't know why I didn't try 2.0 before. I guess I figured that the newer versions would work better.

I don't know if it made any difference, but I didn't uninstall 3.0.0.1 before I installed 2.0. The funny thing about VL 3 is that it would change the logo on the system window, but would not activate. I tried to check for the SLIC emulation in Everest, but I could not find "ACPI" under Motherboard or anywhere else. I'm using version 2.20.405.

I have 1 more question: since I already have SP1, do I need to worry about installing update 940510 (the one that detects activation cracks)?

Thank you again for the help :)

8. reginakampher

Apr 5, 2008
    Great! I'm glad it worked out for you. Most people have success with Vistaloader 2.0 when Vistaloader 3.0 fails. It is very odd that Everest did not report a SLIC table even after Vista activated. As for KB940510, you don't have to worry about it. To my knowledge, it only detects timer hacks and driver type (Paradox) BIOS emulation hacks. It currently does not detect bootloader (Vistaloader) type BIOS emulation or hard mods. So, you are home free until M$ decides to do something about detecting the latter two.

9. mbze430

mbze430 MDL Novice

Aug 27, 2008
    Sorry to revive this older thread, but I have using Vistaloader 2.0 for awhile. But about 1.5 months ago after a reboot. I got a HAL.DLL missing or corrupted error.

To solve this I removed the glrldr, and vista booted up just fine. Of course I lost the activation.

Out of desperation, I removed Vista x64 and reloaded a fresh copy. However using Vistaloader 2.0 still gives me the HAL.DLL missing or corrupted error.

Any suggestions or recommendations?

10. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  11. pappyball

pappyball MDL Novice

Jan 6, 2009
    Damn it, well thanks for the help.. at least I now have an answer. I'm assuming there is no way to mod the bios to get Vista to work without restarting...???

12. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    Even with a bios mod..you would need to completely remove the beasty bootloader. The WOW patch has been working well, as well as using the tag tool for dells vista capable but shipped with linux or xp..The "Hidden Slic" dilemma..:D:D

You have options..just be sure that you weigh them carefully. the vistaloaders are for a limited timeframe at any rate..

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  13. ratbird4

ratbird4 MDL Novice

May 5, 2009
    #15 ratbird4, May 5, 2009
    Last edited: May 5, 2009
    whats the most effective method of getting activated with an A07 bios

ie. which type of vista install disc should i use, an oem dell pre activated or an untouched sp1 from msdn?

thanks!