SP1 fails at 18% (Error Code: 80200053)

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by TONPumper, Mar 12, 2011.

1. TONPumper

TONPumper MDL Member

Jan 2, 2011
    Not sure what this means or how to fix it. I tried doing the Microsoft troubleshoot and clearing out the update cache, but neither of them fixed my problem. I also tried running a scan with Malwarebytes', validating Windows, and restarting the computer, thinking that a program might be hanging or something, but still no luck. I use NOD32, but I disabled it during the process, so I don't think that's the problem, unless I have to clear the cache again after I disable it. Even though I get around fine online, I blame my school's crappy internet because one time the web filter blocked Yahoo Answers! :confused:

Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone else had experienced this error and if so, how you fixed it.

2. Belarathon

Belarathon MDL Senior Member

Nov 21, 2007
    Are you trying to install it on a Windows installation from an image that you've modified with Vlite or RT7 Lite?

3. thethingy

thethingy MDL Senior Member

Sep 7, 2010
    I think you can install sp1 from safe mode so try that

4. TONPumper

TONPumper MDL Member

Jan 2, 2011
    Okay, I'll try that; and I'm not using a modified image, I'm just using Windows Updates.

5. thethingy

Sep 7, 2010
    don't know if wu works in safe mode, try downloading the standalone sp1 installer and trying it as normal then in safe mode.

6. Belarathon

Belarathon MDL Senior Member

Nov 21, 2007
    Windows installer doesn't work in safe mode, AFAIK.

7. thethingy

Sep 7, 2010
    I'm sure someone has a post here about sp1 in safe mode and reported it installing faster...................

8. brasil

brasil MDL Novice

Sep 30, 2008
    I downloaded windows 7 with sp1 to solve the problem. thats the only solutition worked for me. good luck.

9. Trinket

Trinket MDL Senior Member

Feb 20, 2010
    Ouch... anything that goes this deep into the system like an SP install would, you CANNOT have any AV installed or you are asking for trouble. It doesn't matter if you disabled it, you need to uninstall it completely, reboot, and then install SP1. Even building an OS image with tools that have such deep system access more often than not fail when you run any AV or even firewall. It is just not wise to do anything of this nature with the potential of a program that is at the same time trying to prevent access or protect system files. So that would be my recommendation, besides the KB947821 thing, to uninstall all AVs/ISs/Firewalls and try again.

10. Reign_Of_Freedom

Reign_Of_Freedom MDL Expert

Aug 1, 2009
    Honestly, if you don't have much on your pc to save i would do a fresh install tbh.

11. thethingy

Sep 7, 2010
    I'd do a integrate anyway, Windows easy transfer is good............................

12. Falador

Falador MDL Novice

Dec 8, 2010
    First of all - do NOT install SP1 in safe mode. As Belarathon said, the Windows Installer is inactive in safe mode. The problem is that SP1 will install in safe mode, but it will cause problems in the operating system later. Here are some things to try:
    * Check that your date and time are correct.
    * Boot up Windows in cleanboot as explained in KB929135
    * Uninstall your antivirus, do a scan with the free version of Malwarebytes (I've had many successes with it) or any other anti-malware program that scans on-demand and doesn't have real-time protection.
    * Try installing with the standalone installer using right click -> Run As Administrator.
    * You can also try the FixIt from KB971058 which will reset your Windows Update components (works well on Windows 7).

P.S.
    Sorry for the lack of links. My post count is too low for that.

13. TONPumper

TONPumper MDL Member

Jan 2, 2011
    No problem. Thanks for the help. It's actually my friend that's having the problem, so I'll try these fixes and see what happens.

14. quart54

quart54 MDL Novice

Sep 18, 2010
    Hi Tonpumper

I have two machines here both run win 7 ult from Mdl source. One with little software would not complete download of sp1, every attempt failed at various % with a multitude of different 800 errors. The only difference was that one machine ran avg with win firewall off and the other avast with win firewall on. I tried every solution I could find without success. So to me, do the obvious turn off win firewall as a first step, lo and behold sp1 downloaded and installed first time. Make of it what u will but worth a try if your situation similar.
    rgds

15. TONPumper

TONPumper MDL Member

Jan 2, 2011
    Uninstall all drivers? I don't think so. :eek:

16. thethingy

Sep 7, 2010
    Why, windows would just use the generic drivers till the sp was installed, your pc wont spontaneously combust or anything like that.

17. gaza_dan

gaza_dan MDL Member

Jan 9, 2011
    safe mode is an alternative in installing sp1 since i got lot of errors installing mine i just run the standalone in safemode no probs now hopefully

18. burfadel

burfadel MDL EXE>MSP/CAB

Aug 19, 2009
    #19 burfadel, Mar 21, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
  19. Kamar

Kamar MDL Junior Member

Dec 24, 2009
    Hello , how can I integrate sp1 in to win7 retail dvd. ?

I tried this: windows6.1-KB976932-x86.exe/integrate:C:\win7

It works on win Xp. Bit it is asking fo9r switches ??

Please what is the correct command line with switches. thank you