SP1 previously failed trying final now advice please

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Kyle, Mar 24, 2008.

1. Kyle

Kyle MDL Junior Member

Jan 4, 2008
    I have a gigabyte p35-ds3r mobo with a slic'd ASUS/AWARD bios which China4ever provided for me some time ago, my vista activated no problems at all.

I tried SP1 refresh install a while ago and it lost activation so i used acronis to revert. At this point should I have tried to reactivate it using the cert? or should it have just worked?

I now want to install the SP1 final from msoft but dont want to loose activation again.

Does it matter that my mobo is gigabyte and my slic is Award/asus?

Your advise appreciated as always

Ky

2. Kyle

Kyle MDL Junior Member

Jan 4, 2008
    tried sp1 from win update and the same happened: service pack did not install, reverting changes - then places me into reduced functionality with no way of getting to cmd.exe very strange, any ideas people?

ive now used voatk tools to change my retail ultimate install to oem (dont know if this matters since it was activated permanantly prior to trying sp1)

3. Heidegger

Heidegger MDL Member

Mar 17, 2008
    In reduced mode, you can open a browser and use the File-> Open dialog to open a cmd shell. I think.

4. Kyle

Kyle MDL Junior Member

Jan 4, 2008
    #4 Kyle, Mar 25, 2008
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2008
    (OP)
    nope didnt work, i know what your on about because ive been here before but this time that has been disabled.

I need to know what is causing this, anyone got any suggestions please

retail vista ultimate installed
    4gb ram
    gigabyte mobo
    asus\award modded slic from china4ever
    (sp1 did not install, reverting changes) - then reduced functionality plus once recovered with acronis it stated (this copy of windows is not genuine) until i did the slmgr.vbs thingy