SP1 question

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by lunar21, Jan 21, 2011.

1. lunar21

lunar21 MDL Addicted

Dec 14, 2008
    Hello all,

I was wondering if anybody knew of an est. date of when SP1 will go public? I want to know because I am installing Windows 7 on a PC that a friend of mine will be getting it about mid feb. I was wondering if it would be safe for me to install it on there, as I know you will recive little to no updates till the public date.

Lunar21

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. lunar21

lunar21 MDL Addicted

Dec 14, 2008
    I know, I have the SP1 install. that is not the question, i ment the public date, the date that it will be out on Windows Update.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. OvaryActing

OvaryActing MDL Senior Member

Jan 4, 2011
    actually, I have recieved a few updates all ready. You should be good to go. Although, according to WZOR website, clean integrated iso's are set to be released within hours. Wait for the leaked images and install fresh from those.

Available to general public on web site / windows update no later than march 31.

4. venu

venu MDL Addicted

Oct 16, 2009
    Nobody knows, there are rumours only. MS has scheduled SP1 for the first quarter of 2011 but that can stretch upto March 31st. As for the rest of your question, its not very clear but if you install win7, you will receive all updates MS has released via automatic updates. Its not that since SP1 is around they've shut off the tap for previous updates. Point is no matter when you install win7, you'll get all updates. In any case, SP1 is mostly a bundle of all hotfixes released till now.

5. thethingy

thethingy MDL Senior Member

Sep 7, 2010
    It's public now really as you have it, windows update continues to serve even though it's not released to retail or released to windows update.

6. Enigma256

Enigma256 MDL Senior Member

Jan 17, 2011
    #7 Enigma256, Jan 21, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2011
    Incorrect. Updates released after the SP1 build date are not available on WU for SP1 users. A number of optional updates are not showing up as well. MSFT has not yet "activated" SP1 on WU so while WU does work, the selection is, to say the least, limited. And that is OP's concern: what security updates he might miss out on between now and when MSFT turns on 7601 updates on WU.

In reality, though, most security updates are not that critical. You should check the MSFT security response blog. Every month, they'll give you an overview of all the security updates that month and how critical they are. A lot of the updates labeled as "critical" are really not that "critical" if you read the details (e.g., affecting a component that you never use). IMO, the only ones that are truly critical are RCE vulnerabilities that affect a common component and that requires no user action, and those are actually fairly rare and often many months go by without one. More common are "browse and own" RCE vulnerabilities, but most of those can be avoided by using Firefox. The most common are EoP vulnerabilities, which, for non-enterprise home users, are almost always non-issues.

7. thethingy

Sep 7, 2010
    Post 4 guy got some, I believe I had some also but did notice the 30 odd language packs disappeared, would have thought in any event that Windows update will be fully functional in a few days as manufactures will be making drivers and stuff now...........................

8. lunar21

lunar21 MDL Addicted

Dec 14, 2008
    I know the LPs will not be available as they have to update them for any new things they had added (even if it is 1 or 2 words). the thingy, the updates you have recived, are the hotfixes or updates like sofeware remove. tool and defender updates? I know you will still get them, but I am mainly talking about the hotfixes and things like Enigma said.

9. thethingy

Sep 7, 2010
    just checked they weren't even hot fixes they were for sql 2008, still had 7 sp0 for a good 2 months before rtr and updates did work, don't recall when they started but it was b4 rtr, how long do you think it will take?

10. Enigma256

Enigma256 MDL Senior Member

Jan 17, 2011
    Everything that is specific to a particular version or edition of Windows will be missing.

E.g., WL Essentials 2011, and any W7 security update are offered based on what version of Windows you have (e.g., WLE is not offered for XP or for server SKUs), so those are not available. Defender/MSE definition updates are available because they are not keyed to any version of Windows, but rather to whether or not you have Defender or MSE installed. Likewise with Office. Drivers are also available because they are offered based on whether you have the device, not on what version or SKU of Windows you have.

I am certain that any user who claims to be getting updates via WU for SP1 are only getting these non-Windows-specific updates and that if they look closely, things like Windows hotfixes and security updates are missing from their WU.

11. lunar21

lunar21 MDL Addicted

Dec 14, 2008
    Now will it hurt if I install SP1 now, and miss out on these new pre SP1 updates, or should I just wait till it is on WU, then install and get all the updates?

12. lunar21

lunar21 MDL Addicted

Dec 14, 2008
    Hey yall this is and is not pertaining to SP1. I was wondering if there is a list of all updates post SP1 (ie Past build date)?

13. udidwht

udidwht MDL Novice

Feb 19, 2010
    Odd, when I go to WU it still shows the LP's. All 34 of them. I'm fully updated with exception of the WAT update.

System:
    Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit Build 6.1.7600.16385
    Asus P5LP-LE (BIOS 3.19)
    4GB RAM PC2-DDR2-5300
    Pentium D 930 3.0ghz
    Gigabyte HD 4670 512mb (CCC-10.12)
    Maxtor SATA-150 320GB
    Hitachi SATA-300 1TB
    Sound Blaster x-fi Xtremegamer
    HP-840b DVD/CD-RW DL
    DVD-ROM

14. Kouryu

Kouryu MDL Senior Member

Jan 19, 2011
    run check for updates, it will all disappear

15. lunar21

lunar21 MDL Addicted

Dec 14, 2008
    If you see your system stats you posted above, you will see your build is 7600. 7600 is RTM, and the LPs for RTM are out. If you installed SP1, then your build number will be 7601, and then the LPs will disappear till the SP1 is out on WU (or soon after).

16. udidwht

udidwht MDL Novice

Feb 19, 2010
    Did that and they're all still listed under optional updates.