SP1 Really Final (RTM)?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by mrdarkgod, Jan 22, 2011.

1. mrdarkgod

mrdarkgod MDL Member

Feb 13, 2010
    I know this sounds like a dumb question. I'm still skeptical for several reasons:

1) I know a trusted user on thepiratebay.org called thethingy who removed his torrents after claiming they were final as reported on the Russian Microsoft site. He wouldn't do that without a good reason.
    2) Running the windows6.1-KB976932-X64.exe, the certificate does not show "Microsoft Corporation". It simply says "Unknown". So basically it is not official, correct?
    3) I've read it won't be released for another month (RTW). Why would Microsoft wait that long if it's final now? Could they still be testing and updating it?
    4) There are so many SP1 torrents out there now that I don't know what to trust.

At this point I'm thinking it would be best to wait for an official release. Maybe by mid-year, Microsoft will officially integrated SP1 into the OS and someone will release an ISO through a torrent site.

Wait it out or take the plunge? What are you all doing and what would you all suggest?

2. tapalque

tapalque MDL Novice

Dec 16, 2009
    I'm totally agree with you!

3. ie9

ie9 MDL Member

Jan 14, 2011
    #3 ie9, Jan 22, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2011
    WZor/Zuko/canouna/SoLoR > thethingy

My personal opinion is that what is on Wzor is the RTM of SP1

Edit: My suggestion to you is to wait if you're unsure or on the fence. As for me, I'm getting ready to re-install with the intgrated ISO's that showed up today :D

4. timesurfer

timesurfer MDL Developer

Nov 22, 2009
    Well me being in your sig I must reply. Dude if I hear of another SP1 whatever again I will :suicide: my self

It's like a race that can't be won that everyone is racing in? Like water in an oasis that's not there. I really hate the whole SP1/Win 8 phenomenon. It's just simpler to wait for hte update. There is no problems with Win 7 generally speaking. We pretty much have same updates as the SP1 will have. WAT is no issue for MDl apps and it's just a big update shouldn't we wait til it comes to us. We are not dehydrated looking for the SP1 water source but most are bored as all hell so they must have this SP1 elixer but really there's no need. But it's fanatics that drive this stuff not regular joes. Sure odds are we'll get 5 rearms which only benefits IR4 users but really what else is there?

I think it's a crazy fad and I can't subsrcribe to it's madness

5. sam3971

sam3971 MDL Guru

Nov 14, 2008
    Well here is my two senses on this topic. If you are unsure what it can do install win7 in a VM, install SP1 RTM(This one) and test it, if you get positive results, install it on your physical win7. I am currently using the RC from wzor on one of my computers and have no issues at all btw. :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. Enigma256

Enigma256 MDL Senior Member

Jan 17, 2011
    #6 Enigma256, Jan 22, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2011
    2) The signature is correct. The Explorer COM extension that displays signature information has a number of limitations, including having problems checking the signatures of large files (it tries to map the entire file, and is unable to find a contiguous block of unused address space, which is a problem that you are almost certain to run into if you try to check a file that's nearly 1GB in size on a 32-bit system), which is why signatures should always be checked using Microsoft's command-line sigcheck utility (you can find its download page @ microsoft.com via a Google/Bing search)

3) If you have ever worked in a large software project as I have, this explanation for this would be obvious. All large software projects, whether it be Mozilla Firefox or Microsoft Windows goes through a long validation period... "baking", as the slang goes. With Microsoft, even the slightest change to a non-code component (e.g., a typo fix in a help file) would mean a complete reset of that process. Even absent all the signs from Microsoft that this is indeed the final RTM (e.g., 17514 files being released in WU as a part of the servicing update), the likelihood that they'll "crack open" this thing and make any changes is preposterously unlikely. At this point, even the notion that they are still "tweaking" or even "testing" SP1 is ridiculous. It's done. It's been baked. It would take a show-stopper bug of unprecedented severity (like, something that would cause SP1 to severely break a common and highly visible feature--something that we would have noticed by now if it existed) to warrant a recall.

That having been said, the delay in SP1 has been longer than usual for MSFT. But all accounts point to SP1 being finished and that the baking is done. Seems like MSFT is just holding off the release for other reasons (my personal guess is that they are waiting for the "Vail" project--WHS2--to be completed).

7. ie9

ie9 MDL Member

Jan 14, 2011
    Also, Wzor said that MS was trying to sync up the RTW of IE9 and this SP. That could be another explanation

8. Enigma256

Jan 17, 2011
    I know that's the prevailing theory, but I don't much like that theory because there isn't a connection between IE9 and 7601 and it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me, whereas Vail is based on a 7601 server SKU...

9. ie9

ie9 MDL Member

Jan 14, 2011
    True, there is no connection. Even Wzor said that it's not like IE9 will be included in SP1, I'm thinking it would be a good PR move by Microsoft though, but who knows. Your theory makes sense too :)

10. blued

blued MDL Junior Member

May 31, 2007
    If the RTM has indeed been leaked, I hope MS takes the drastic step of dis-owning it and delaying it even further to incorporate more fixes into it to make it noticeably different from the leaked one. Simply to teach everyone a lesson, to not jump the gun and DL something based on rumors even if it looks to be "good".

11. tcntad

tcntad MDL Guru

Oct 26, 2009
    It is the RTM, whats so hard to understand?

Simply delaying it would piss other off even if the changes arent that many, and it would probably look bad for MS and EU will sue them or something like that (No I woudnt be surprised if that happened)

12. Enigma256

Jan 17, 2011
    That would also be bloody expensive. Fortunately, MSFT is quite rational and not prone to these tantrums that you advocate...

13. Auto

Auto MDL Novice

Jan 21, 2010
    IE9 is not included in SP1.

14. KotaXor

KotaXor MDL Senior Member

Aug 3, 2009
    Wasn't it the same when Windows 7 RTM was leaked.:rolleyes:
    Not surprise that SP1 is leaked too.:cool:

15. nekomata

nekomata MDL Novice

Jan 19, 2011
    1) there is no such thing as trusted user on a torrent site
    2) your download is corrupt the file is signed by microsoft and if its fake would be caos
    3) is ready since last year, they scheduled a release date to several months later, why? because they can and the win 7 is selling like water in the desert
    4) know what you are looking for, its all here in this forum.. lol

16. thethingy

thethingy MDL Senior Member

Sep 7, 2010
    1) there is no such thing as trusted user on a torrent site, of course there is, not everyone is out to infect you, some people just want to share and check b4 uploading.

17. timesurfer

timesurfer MDL Developer

Nov 22, 2009
    I am a trusted up-loader :p...lol

18. seniorgeek1969

seniorgeek1969 MDL Junior Member

Aug 4, 2010
    So am I ;)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  19. Trinket

Trinket MDL Senior Member

Feb 20, 2010
    But then they're going to leak the one that MS is keeping as the 'proper' release, and you'd be saying the same thing all over again. Do you not see what's happening here? lol

20. zaiko

zaiko MDL Member

Jan 1, 2010