sppsvc - help please

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by caspertone2003, Apr 24, 2020.

1. caspertone2003

caspertone2003 MDL Novice

Jun 1, 2014
    Hi,
    I have searched north and south and not found a real answer and solution...
    Perhaps it is the best kept secret or the elephant in the room....

Whenever I have a (virtual) machine running Windows 10 (in this case 1909 v 778) (permanent digital activation) with Office (2016, 2019) (KMS activated just for educational purposes) the systems gets progressively unusable as sppsvc.exe eats more and more CPU time.

Read that it is identified conflicts between sppsvc and kms ...

Found out that dehabilitating sppsvc brings a for sure nag screen and office not working...
    Found that suspending (resource monitor, for example) is a workaround. As this is not permanent, build a cmd that using pssuspend suspends sppsvc (also so a poster in MDL that made same).

So, workaround saves the situation, apparently no side effects (un-suspend sppsvc also periodically, and thing taht it must be active for updates and other chores) but would like to know ideas about educational office activation not using KMS and/or real solutions to sppsvc saturation attacks.... A question of mind rewarding and ending research.

TIA,
    CT

2. Hi,

Which ISO was used, a homebrew or MSDN ISO? Which KMS solution was used?
    Can you reproduce the error on other virtual machines? Or maybe on real machines?

3. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    My personal opinion is that this must be a local problem. I have never had such a problem. I have quite a many computers, I checked just now it again on different computers - CPU usage is very very little or missing at all, non-existent.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. caspertone2003

Jun 1, 2014
    ISO was downloaded from MS using the media creation tool. Then moved to a USB with rufus.
    Condition is observed in VirtualBox guests (used ISO for 1903 later on updated to 1909) as well as in HP real machine (portable) (using ISO 1909).

5. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    Try temporarily disabling all anti-virus systems, and when the problem goes away, is much clearer what causes the problem. I think this may be due to a conflict between KMS and anti-virus systems. But this is just an opinion that may not be correct.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. You’re using Defender? And which KMS tool do you used to activate Windows.

7. caspertone2003

Jun 1, 2014
    #9 caspertone2003, Apr 25, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2020
    (OP)
    Thanks all. No antivirus in virtual machines, just follow a use and drop strategy for snapshots.
    R@1n activator was used for OS then for Office and in some vm then OS changed one mentioned here for the OS https://forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/kms38.80015/#post-1538193
    no after cleaning of KMS done after

Strangely, on one machine, trying to solve the issue, tried to dehabilitate sppsvc service throug reg key.
    After disabling, got "not activated screen" tried to rehabilitate sppsvc undoing back to previous reg key.
    Not worked until I discovered the associated scheduled tasks remained not habilitated. After that,
    cleaning the KMS servers with R@1n and using above permanent activation for OS (not remember exactly in which order), at least a reboot (and probably the montly OP patch)
    a) no more no activated screen
    b) sppsvc working and behaving
    c) office 2019 status activated... (this surprised me)

Perhaps a permanent solution to the sppsvc issue is to follow that hard way...