SQL Database Character Set Conversion Script

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by admin, Jun 22, 2007.

1. admin

admin Administrator
    Staff Member

Apr 24, 2007
  2. EJ-K

EJ-K MDL Novice

Jul 26, 2007
    I got sent over to this download from the blog.

When I clicked the file to download, it prompted me to register for the forum.

I registered, logged in, and still can not download the file. I cleared my browser cache, refreshed the page, and still nothing. I did get a setup email and a confirmation email from admin@mydigitallife.net.

Thanks for the help! I'd like to try this out.

Here's the page I get when I try to download the file:

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:
    You are not logged in. Fill in the form at the bottom of this page and try again.
    You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
    If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

3. admin

admin Administrator
    Staff Member

Apr 24, 2007
    Hi EJ-K, there is no problem with your user account. Can you try to download again?

4. EJ-K

EJ-K MDL Novice

Jul 26, 2007
    Hi, thanks for the help. I just tried again, same issue in Safari.

Tried it on firefox, and it works! Woohoo.

Now to test the script on my server. Thanks again.

5. Palamedes

Palamedes MDL Novice

Feb 25, 2008
    Problems using PHPmyAdmin

Hi there,

I'm using PHPmyAdmin and try to convert my database to utf-8, but...PHPmA interrupts the process with the first error message (concering key length as mentioned in ur guide).

Is there a way to make PHPmA ignore errors / to proceed the other tables?

Thx in advance!

6. something2

something2 Guest

extended script

Hello,
    The script didn't work for me because my tables and columns were already utf8, but I didn't set the DB_CHARSET and DB_COLLATE variables when I installed Wordpress. That's why the script tried to convert the text from utf8 to utf8, in effect, doing nothing.

So I am posting a script that first converts all the columns and tables to latin1, then to blob and finally to utf8.

Hope someone finds it useful.

7. mat8iou

mat8iou MDL Novice

Feb 9, 2008
    Many many thanks for this. I've been struggling with this issue on & off for ages - obviously, like you at some point in trying to convert things or during a database restore, the defaults for the tables had already been switched.

Everything now seems to be working fine after many false attempts previously, which never seemed to make any difference.

8. balaji

balaji MDL Novice

Sep 16, 2008
    #8 balaji, Sep 16, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    I was trying the extended script posted by something2 because I'm faced with the same problem of tables that are marked as utf8 but contain latin1 data.

Unfortuantely, the script doesn't seem to be working for me. Specifically when I try to mark the columns are latin1, I get an error:

Code:
    mysql> ALTER TABLE wp_comments MODIFY comment_author CHARACTER SET latin1 COLLATE latin1_swedish_ci;
    ERROR 1064 (42000): You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that    corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'SET latin1 COLLATE latin1_swedish_ci' at line 1
    Could someone advise on how to get the script working?

9. ejm

ejm MDL Novice

Sep 18, 2009
    #10 ejm, Sep 25, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
  10. trecords

trecords MDL Novice

Mar 13, 2010
    Hi, i use wordpress MU with multi db so i have 16 databases and all need to convert into UTF8. I can add manually each database so so i need to remove require_once and wpdb codes and replace them with my database name? or can yu please help me with this?
    Thanks.