Standalone W7 post-SP1 updates without W10 rubbish?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by gorski, Dec 13, 2015.

1. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    100, thanx but - I don't want to run an online update, so it doesn't catch the bug... :rolleyes: :D In other words, he doesn't want the upgrade to cr@ppy W8 or 10... ;)

neps4u, thank you, I saw the thread but this is all the updates(???) and not just post SP1 (I was hoping this was possible/existed)...

Cheers!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    #5 Enthousiast, Dec 13, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2015
    Simplix update pack is for Win7 with sp1. So the updates in it are post SP1.

4. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    #6 gorski, Dec 13, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2015
    (OP)
    Mea culpa! I misunderstood!:eek:

Thank you!!!:cool:

P.S. It being an .exe file, I presume I just start it and... wait??? :D

5. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    How to use it is all published in the Simplix thread ;)

6. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    Hehe, that much is very obvious... :D

However, in that sea of info one sometimes misses to say "double-click on the .exe file and it will install"... :D :D :D

It seems to me they were very Germ.... pardon, thorough :D and covered every eventuality, as to how to install it in various ways, what if you want to omit something or.... :)

Just not easy to see the obvious stuff... :D Like what if you just use the file the usual way? :D What do you get then? :D There are two threads (one "how to" which is the same as the main thread top post and one by Skaendo, for which you need an Open Office) but... :D

Anyway, I must wait for my friend to be free, then to order the new HW (he knows nothing of this, so a bit... apprehensive to do anything by himself), then... So, having fun informing myself in the meantime... :D

Cheers! :)

7. Doman

Doman MDL Novice

May 11, 2015
    With only 2GB memory available it would be much more efficient/faster to use the 32bit version.
    The 64bit takes more resources on memory/disk.

8. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    Yes, if I have the time, that is... then I would test W7 64b quickly...

But most likely, dual boot: MCE and KodiBuntu or ZorinOS or Mint 17.3 or...(?)

Thank you all for suggestions and comments! :)

9. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    It was almost impossible to install anything today (Win7 Ultimate SP1 64b, KodiBuntu 64b, ZorinOS 9 32b etc., from disk or USB stick)... just to tell you, with my thanx, again, for all the advice! :)

Finally, I managed with XP Pro MCE 32b... Partitioned the small HDD in such a way to have enough unpartitioned (raw) space for KodiBuntu or ZorinOS or Mint 17.3 32b/64b(?) and 4GB SWAP partition.... some other day...

Not finished with many things with Winblows yet... Still an issue with VGA driver etc. But it is flying now... before I put in a security suite or Office or... :D

Pray for me... :D Since my friend is completely useless in IT... :D

10. foo3495

foo3495 MDL Senior Member

Nov 6, 2015
    i find driver install packs on external drive, very handy, better than praying, good luck

11. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    I have those but very few for 64b, if at all, then not possible to download 4 out of 9 or 10, 3 apps for drivers can't get it done 100% and so on... I mean, even for 32b Win XP, for which it was made, kinda...

Not simple, there's always something not OK - like VGA driver in this instance etc.

Ah, well, we keep trying... ;)

12. foo3495

foo3495 MDL Senior Member

Nov 6, 2015
  13. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    Trouble is, everything was fine after OS installation. Then, the update to the driver went to 800 x 600, 4 bit, no colour - crazy! Unistall driver and all fine, except that when the system boots it says "New HW - must install driver"... :D And then, that doesn't work - so a loop...

We'll see tomorrow, if I manage with the drivers I downloaded from the link I put above... :)

Thanx! ;)

14. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    Win7 64b Ult + SP1 + all the other "safe" updates (to avoid W10 "upgrade")?

Hi, guys!

I am struggling with a friend's old laptop: I installed Win7 64b Ultimate with SP1. After that, it is struggling badly (trying to check for updates for many, many hours - 2 days in a row now...) to update... No luck whatsoever!

I am wondering if anyone ever bothered putting it all together, post SP1 updates and all, maybe?

It would save a lot of time and headache to many of us...

Especially IT-lay people...

Thanx in advance!

P.S. When trying to start Skype, I get a BSOD, saying that a driver is stuck in an endless loop - no matter which version of Skype I try. I tried many versions of Skype, different versions of drivers - no luck... Any ideas, please?

15. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    Thanx, m8!!! :) I appreciate your effort!

However, I see all this heavy jargon and "integrate this or that", i.e. "make a new package", use "elevated run command" or stuff like that - and it's just too much for me, being from Humanities, not IT, being honest...

I would have to pose way too many questions, before I could do something like that, it seems to me... I seriously doubt anyone would entertain that... A waste of time, I am sure - wouldn't work, in the end...

Has anyone actually done that, made the package ("all in one" iso or maybe exe, for the updates bit only [SP2, so to speak]?) and shared it, please?

Cheers! :)

16. Bat.1

Bat.1 MDL Expert

Oct 18, 2014
    Put it on the desktop of the fresh install, right click, then run as admin.

17. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    #20 Enthousiast, Apr 29, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    If you had read the "Additional Functionality" i pointed at, you would have seen this:

For use with offline install.wim there are batch files available and for iso there is boss911's simple to use script. It all can be found by reading the OP.