Start button not working build 10061

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by maddog0266, Apr 28, 2015.

1. maddog0266

maddog0266 MDL Expert

Apr 26, 2011
    Running build 10061 on my Lenovo B575 laptop.
    Installed fine, been running it since it was released.
    But tonight when I turned it on the start button does nothing.
    I can click on it and still does nothing, the notification does not work either.
    I can right click on the start flag and it does open a menu.
    Has anyone else had this problem.

2. Alphawaves

Alphawaves Super Moderator/Developer
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2008
    I installed 10061 today and encountered this problem. Don't bother with earlier fixes as they don't work (well not for me). I'm looking into this ATM.. Windows 10 is crap! Not at all impressed with this piece of ----!o_O

3. darkodar

darkodar MDL Addicted

Feb 12, 2013
    10061 is very buggy , wait developer preview!

4. maddog0266

maddog0266 MDL Expert

Apr 26, 2011
    Did not have this problem with any other builds.
    What fixes are out there.

5. RocketSledder77

RocketSledder77 MDL Junior Member

Jan 23, 2012
    I did twice with 10056.

6. maddog0266

maddog0266 MDL Expert

Apr 26, 2011
    What did you do to fix it.

7. WardocsRevenge

WardocsRevenge MDL Expert

Jan 13, 2012
    had this issues tried all fixes they failed start menu fix : Get-AppxPackage | % { Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppxManifest.xml" -verbose } in powershell as admin so in the end i had to reinstall and it worked great no issues at all with anything

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. Dave-UK

Dave-UK MDL Junior Member

Apr 24, 2011
    I've had the same problem. Tried re-installing - still the same, also the search does not work.
    In the end I gave up and installed Classic Start Menu and Agent Ransack.

9. RocketSledder77

RocketSledder77 MDL Junior Member

Jan 23, 2012
    I never could. I did a "update" install, it did not work. Then I did a clean install and it worked for a day or two. I did a clean install of 10061 and did not copy any Microsoft user or program files from previous installation (aka Windows.old). It seemed to work but I of course I had to redo my menu the way I like it.

10. maddog0266

maddog0266 MDL Expert

Apr 26, 2011
    I tried all the fixes, did not work. So did a clean install of 10061.
    So I will see what happens.

11. Dave-UK

Apr 24, 2011
    I've just installed 10074. Start menu works.
    After turning User Account Control to minimum setting start menu and search not working.
    Restored UAC to default setting, rebooted.
    Start menu still not working.
    Created a new local administrator account and the start menu and search works.
    It looks like altering the UAC settings breaks the start and search.

12. Shayne

Shayne MDL Addicted

Jul 31, 2009
    This start button has died on me also not right away but after clicked on a few times (10074 is the same). Reboot usually takes care of it and works after. Hard to reboot with no reboot key but I have a mouse button configured to close windows with one click and when desktop is active gives me the "what do you want the computer to do" pop up. This is a TP and bugs are a fact of life, we must assume that M$ is fully aware of a problem like this. The OS's is in a rough condition at this stage and the stress for release prior to school must be building in house now. A problem ridden OS's will not change the feelings about windows 8 for many. Metro in a start menu and appz that no one wants that are being forced feed to you. Big thumbs control panel (settings) .............. find windows update in the 10074 build in the control panel. Appears that this will all be ported to a dumb downed more clicking settings panel.

Reagrds

13. svebu

svebu MDL Novice

Jun 12, 2009
    No way. Startmenue and windows search also buggy in Build 10074

14. yann2

yann2 MDL Novice

Mar 9, 2015
    Yeah - All Metro apps, including Settings, Search, etc are protected, Trusted installer apps. You have to have UAC set to default, or the whole thing dies.

Worse - the Windows Update is now a Metro app function (in Settings), so you might not even be able to try for an updeate and possible fix. Got this situation in one test machine (x86 version), while another, also x86, upgrade-installed, runs fine.

15. Blueingreen

Blueingreen MDL Junior Member

Mar 18, 2015
    UAC is among the first things I disable after installs, and Start menu and Settings have been working flawlessly up to 10049. No joy now both in 10061 and 10074. Many are blaming the upgrade process, which in certain cases may be true, but I suspect that some codes have been rewritten and issues are more likely hardware related.

16. Dave-UK

Apr 24, 2011
    Well, I can't stand UAC on all the time, and I don't want a Microsoft account nor any apps from the store so it looks like it's Classic Start and Agent Ransack for me permanently.

17. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012
    build 10074 fixed most of the start menu problems for me (in place upgrade from 10061).

18. yann2

yann2 MDL Novice

Mar 9, 2015
    I thought so too, but after a reboot or two, Start is Not Starting now, on a machine where it did work flawlessly in build 10061. :(

I don't care much about the Metro apps, but loosing Settings (aka where all the Control Panel is migrating to) IS a major pain. No access to Windows Update on demand, for example. There might be a fix there pending download, but I just can't reach it. Argh....

19. MS_User

MS_User MDL Guru

Nov 30, 2014
    u have to upgrade to 74.....do a clean install.

20. yann2

yann2 MDL Novice

Mar 9, 2015
    MS User, thanks for the suggestion. I installed in two laptops, this is the one that was working fine after a couple of releases, all installed via Upgrade in place, apps and settings, files kept.

The other one, I did a format c: and clean install. Got to see how the Start behaves there; that one did NOT work in 10061.

In another thread, I just posted this, and it might help someone trying to work around the Start not working issue, so copied here:

--------------------------------------------

Pretty annoying, isn't it? I managed to get the Search button on taskbar to respond (!!), and from there could search for "Settings". You will see Settings (Modern UI app) at the top of the results list.

Clicking on it, it came up. Then I could reach windows Update, and there's one there that requires a reboot. I think they are really trying to fix this.

Alas, after the reboot, the Start button is still not a working button either. :(