start menu gone

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by ruili, May 11, 2015.

1. ruili

ruili MDL Novice

Mar 25, 2015
    updated to 10074 and my start button stopped working, any ideas? ( i can right clik for menu but thats it)

2. AtomR

AtomR MDL Member

Oct 22, 2013
    -Did you tried rebooting ? If no, then Restart/Reboot your PC.

-Restart File Explorer using Task Manager.

Incase, If both above steps not working, then create a new local account & use.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Try an Repair! If you didn't have an .ISO file yet, download one, create an USB Flash drive or bootable DVD, boot from it and chose Repair from the 2. screen. You could also try an Refresh from an running Windows TP 10074.

If none of that working try to Update again or even do an clean install!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. sonnypena

sonnypena MDL Novice

Aug 29, 2012
    You may try fix found here:

h _ _ p://www_rbrussell_com/2015/01/30/windows-10-build-9926-start-menu-cortana-search-action-center-metro-apps-wont-work/

Replace all "_" as appropriate...
    It worked for me (B10074 Pro x86).

5. Zeblade

Zeblade MDL Junior Member

Jun 21, 2007
    Had the same think happen to me. I didnt like the update so did a restore and it was gone. Did refresh and the other and still menu did not work. I did the so called "fix" that did bring it back yet then some apps not longer worked after that.

Again mine only happen when I did a restore... its a bug they know about.. thank God

6. Blueingreen

Blueingreen MDL Junior Member

Mar 18, 2015
    I've seen that almost everything may happen with start menu. No matter what, clean install, upgrade, repair, fix or crossed fingers, it randomly works, does not work, stops working after a while. It clearly needs an overhaul in the next release.

7. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    I don't think it's an problem with the Start Menu, better would be to look very close on your config and the apps you're running and other culprits! If there were major problem with the Start Menu, much more users would be complain! Compare to the mass playing with the Insider Preview 10074, there just a few percent who complaining about such problems!

8. brownimfc

brownimfc MDL Senior Member

Jan 25, 2015
    I'm one of the few percent!

9. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    And I'm NOT!!

Anyway, TP 10074 is still an product under development, so many Drivers and Apps which need to be 'modified' for to be able to work 100% with that system!

10. brownimfc

brownimfc MDL Senior Member

Jan 25, 2015
    It has one advantage when it breaks though, it forces you to find other/new ways to accomplish things.

11. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    And that's not the way it normally should be!!