Start menu in Windows RT 8.1 Update 3

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by vali20, Sep 16, 2015.

1. vali20

vali20 MDL Member

Aug 8, 2012
    #1 vali20, Sep 16, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2015
    Hi, as recently announced on various places around the Internet, Windows RT 8.1 Update 3 is now available for Windows RT devices (i.e. the first-gen Surface, Surface 2, the Lumia 2520), which brings the Start menu from Windows 10 builds prior to build 100xx or so (before the XAML Start menu). It is still technically Windows 8.1, so I wonder if it could be ported to Windows 8.1 for x86? What do you think? Any chance?

2. SOCRATE_MMXII

SOCRATE_MMXII MDL Expert

Jan 25, 2012
    You have classicshell and other free options for startmenu in 8/8.1. Why would anyone port the menu from RT?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. mymull

mymull MDL Novice

Dec 20, 2014
    No ... i really hope that someone finds out how to integrate these updates in Windows 8.1 ... i really like this version of the start menu!!!

And i dont want to install a 3rd party app!

4. vali20

vali20 MDL Member

Aug 8, 2012
    @mymull - yeah, me too, it is way better and functional than the final XAML version shipped with Windows 10... the same when comparing Windows 8.1 to Windows 10... I happily stick with the former, and the new Update 3 Start menu is a huge productivity boost, plus that alongside ModernMix, for e.g., makes Metro apps functional too, as it also shows live tiles, when compared to StartIsBack, or Start8... If someone with skill would take a look at this... I don't have the knowledge, otherwise I would do it myself, though I'm also tinkering around with the files, installing build 9981, and Windows 8.1 in 2 VMs as we're speaking...

5. mymull

mymull MDL Novice

Dec 20, 2014
    although i believe microsoft is really trying to prevent users from using the startmenu in windows 8.1 ... and "patching" it in... i really hope someone will come up with a solution. ... We will see.... hopefully someone is smart enough ^^ maybe you! :D

I really used to tinker alot when it comes to my os... BUT e.g. i never got Ultimate Updates from Vista work with Windows 7 (or even Vista Home Premium) :D and i really tried a long time... then i found someone who did it and i realised what i did wasn't even close to get it :D ... so yeah... i know this type of modification is usually to much for me :D

6. vali20

vali20 MDL Member

Aug 8, 2012
    Yeah, it happened many times to me too... I guess that, as this stuff is not documented anywhere, you have to have a lot of experience, i.e. to have patched/tried to patch/hack or whatever it is called a lot of things, in order to understand how Windows works and so. I don't even know where the Start menu code is actually located, is it explorer.exe or some other file... We'll see, let's hope for the best...

7. mymull

mymull MDL Novice

Dec 20, 2014
    Noobs who try to hack windows :D ... if a programmer reads this he will laught out loud!!! :D ... we will see

8. vali20

vali20 MDL Member

Aug 8, 2012
    Hmm... not necessarily a programmer, but someone who knows a lot about undocumented Windows features and techniques. A programmer knows algorithms and programming languages, not how Windows works internally, he/she can code everywhere, not being OS-dependent... A programmer usually has read a lot of material on MSDN, which unfortunately doesn't document anything close to this...