Start menu Windows 10 weak search problem

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by smokinjoe, Mar 21, 2016.

1. smokinjoe

smokinjoe MDL Novice

Mar 19, 2016
    #1 smokinjoe, Mar 21, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2016
    Windows 10, when I searched from the Start Menu or search icon, only (dead) Settings or Control Panel results appear with a result of "could not find....". For example, if I type "index option" or "control panel", the search results pull up the "Setting" gui and and the links were dead & unresponsive. When I created a new test user account, it had the same problem. All my attempts failed until I stumbled on this:

This fixed my problem:
    Go to (OR search for a folder named "INDEXED"):

C:\Users\USER_NAME\AppData\Local\Packages\windows.immersivecontrolpanel_cw5n1h2txyewy\LocalState => Indexed

Right-click the Indexed folder > Properties > Advanced > Check Allow files in this folder to have indexed in addition to file properties.

Click Apply and Exit.

In my case, it was unchecked, I checked it > applied > that fixed it for me. Even if it is checked I would uncheck > apply > recheck > and apply it again.

It instantly worked as a robust search tool and I rebuilt the index file after trimming it (35,000 items from 179,000).

Hope this help someone!

2. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    Maybe it was a folder:
    C:\Users\{USERNAME}\AppData\Local\Packages\windows.immersivecontrolpanel_cw5n1h2txyewy\LocalState => Indexed
    or simply
    %LocalAppData%\Packages\windows.immersivecontrolpanel_cw5n1h2txyewy\LocalState => Indexed

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Gharlane00

Gharlane00 MDL Addicted

Aug 26, 2009
    Checked mine and found that it was already checked. Must be why i never had problems with searches.

4. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    It is already checked, but sometimes Windows "forgots" it, then You must uncheck and then check again, as was said in first post. It's absolutely tru, this may happen sometimes.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. smokinjoe

smokinjoe MDL Novice

Mar 19, 2016
    You're correct, I failed to complete the path of \LocalState => Indexed. Thanks.
    Although once you get that deep you are going to find it!