start menu

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by careplus, Jan 14, 2015.

1. careplus

careplus MDL Novice

Apr 21, 2011
    start menu in windows 10 very hard to maintain;

Tiles are no no for me
    Editing start menu = change colors only
    serious edition need to remove protection on hidden files to change appls on start menu and delete the clogged apps.
    I liked windows 7 style and start menu in windows 10 no way near it..
    classic shell was the answer for me. hard to get cheaper than free!

2. Angelofdooms

Angelofdooms MDL Novice

Dec 17, 2014
    I have to disagree with you, The Start menu is Windows 10 is awesome, the look and feel and amazing, especially coming from windows 8 garbage, its a major improvement, the tiles are convenient to me. it gives us a bit of new and old all together, Also as far as customizing remember this is just the technical preview im sure in the full release there will be more customizations that can be done, third party menu is garbage especially classic shell, in windows 8 i used Stardock8. and you can delete apps on start menu, removing protection on hidden files is just apart of the tech preview, when the full comes out there should be option to allow to view hidden s**t and to customize permission.

3. JJJohan

JJJohan MDL Novice

Feb 7, 2010
    For me the only difference really is the fact all the right-hand side context items are removed and put into the right click menu, for whatever reason.

Looking forward to being able to add, remove, rename and create desktop shortcuts (without drag and drop) the shortcuts in the All Apps menu though..

4. dippyweb

dippyweb MDL Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Start screen is better then Win10 startmenu... like in win 8.1 :rolleyes:

5. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    #6 Tito, Jan 14, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    At its usual place ;)
    Code:
    All Users: C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu
    Current User: C:\Users\User\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu

6. Rickkins

Rickkins MDL Senior Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Yes, Classic Shell remains the way to go.

7. Mrox2

Mrox2 MDL Senior Member

Jul 25, 2014
    This but I have to say I was satisfied with what I saw in Build 2014, I still think that was the best start menu combination... o_O

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. Dolorous Edd

Dolorous Edd MDL Expert

Aug 31, 2009
    I like___________ and everyone should have to do it just like I do......

This is all very subjective and it would be better if MS left us options.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012
    Indeed.

I got used to it on win 7, I used it on win 8.x, I'm still uising it on win TP.

No need to reinvent the wheel.

10. Dave101

Dave101 MDL Junior Member

Feb 27, 2014
    EH, i think theres an addiction problem with people trying to customize there PCs,laptop,tablets. Whilst i have nothing against it. going in a changing things that are not supposed to be changed always always causes problems that's just enviable. The oblivious situation is the vast majority of people couldn't care less about the color of a specific menu or program. they much rather the things worked and they can get on do what they have to do and get off and get on with there lives.

The truth is if all the options were given, a kid would break it and the parents would go and buy the competition. so MS will never do that.

11. SkOrPn

SkOrPn MDL Senior Member

Sep 8, 2012
    Yeah I like that new start menu above. However, I wish the Shut Down button was pushed to the far right of its current location to allow the search bar to expand wider to the right. As it is above, there is just wasted space to the right of the Shut Down button. But is does look much better. If its going to look like the above I may not need Classic Shell any more. We'll find out tomorrow I guess...

12. SilverlightWPF

SilverlightWPF MDL Junior Member

Jun 11, 2011