start up

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by darkgohan, Jul 23, 2009.

1. darkgohan

darkgohan MDL Novice

Jan 23, 2009
    WXP home HP pc. I can only get this pc to start up in safe mode, Belongs to a friend,who really has no idea what took place. Hoping there might be some kind soul who can get me started trouble shooting the problem. TY:)

2. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    Not activated? Sounds like the windows protection got 'em.

Is it VLK, OEM, Havkrd, etc. Be honest, not judging here...

You can easily fix it with some tools around here, but we need to know the circumstances..

any errors showing, can you start up with minimum drivers, i.e. msconfig-->dignostic startup??

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. darkgohan

darkgohan MDL Novice

Jan 23, 2009
    Thank you. It is oem,nothing illegal with this guy.There are no errors showing,when you boot up normal,it gives you only the page that offers the f1 f10 options,trying to remember? Then as you pick the type of start up,it just keeps returning to the same choices.Safe mode functions fine. There are no restore points available in sys restore either.
    Cannot start up with minimum drivers, i.e. msconfig-->dignostic startup in normal mode . He has no recovery cd,lost at least for now during the move. Any help is appreciated . dark...:)

4. tds

tds MDL Junior Member

Sep 5, 2008
    hp should have recovery partition in hd
    back up all data, try press f10 or f12 (not remember exactly) when boots up.

5. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    New drivers or hardware, new software, any changes before this?? Maybe a virus?? Sounds more like a driver conflict of some sort, but could be a virus..

Make your own recovery cd. Just download an ISO of SP3 somewhere, make it an OEM like he has..Nothing illegal about that. All you need to know is which OEM you need for the OEMBIOS files, and where to put 'em. You can either go with answer file or not. I would at least input the serial in a .sif file, and use the rest as user input..easier that way i think.

Give me the OEM, and I will make you a .SIF that only inputs serial, the rest is repair install as usual..Add the oembios and your done..

Sounds that Windows took a dump on ya..happens..:D

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. darkgohan

darkgohan MDL Novice

Jan 23, 2009
    Will be going over to his place later,will see what I can do. TY guys:)

7. darkgohan

darkgohan MDL Novice

Jan 23, 2009
    Well he ended up taking it to a repair guy. Repair guy says the sp3 download caused a driver coflict. Says he pressed f8,and did something that stops the safe mode and gives him access to some error page?? Does this make sense about stopping the f8 bit? Sure like to know how he was able to repair this,but guess thats why he is a tech.TY

8. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    Probably booted into last known good config..I doubt SP3 had muchto do with it..:D

9. darkgohan

darkgohan MDL Novice

Jan 23, 2009
    Your probably right,though I had tried that option and it just came back to the same page each time? Thanks for the help !!:)