Start8: New updates available!

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by roirraW "edor" ehT, Jul 11, 2012.

1. roirraW "edor" ehT

roirraW "edor" ehT MDL Addicted

Sep 1, 2007
    #1 roirraW "edor" ehT, Jul 11, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2012
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. dummekuehe

dummekuehe MDL Senior Member

Jan 11, 2009
    I hope somebody can figure out what trick they use to achieve the start directly to desktop.

3. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Change the direct download link.. it already expires ;)

4. bjf2000

bjf2000 MDL Expert

Apr 11, 2008
    I like this tool, possibly over Classic Shell, because it taps into Windows's own search capabilities. For some reason, Classic Shell doesn't, instead utilizing what appears to be a custom search solution, so its results are much more limited.

Using Start8, I can't help but wonder why MS didn't handle the Start button this way themselves. They should have realized that it's better to bring Metro to the Desktop than it is to bounce you out of the Desktop entirely into Metro. That is, if they insisted on changing Start in the first place. Given that they did, Start8 is a nice and somewhat obvious happy-medium.

Question: Shouldn't there be an Exit button on a right-click? It's not apparent how you close it.

5. roirraW "edor" ehT

roirraW "edor" ehT MDL Addicted

Sep 1, 2007
    Thanks! Removed.

Thanks for the info/review. Yeah, I noticed that about Classic Shell, that's about the only annoyance. I might have to give Start8 a try, then.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...