Starter

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Dolorous Edd, Oct 21, 2009.

1. Dolorous Edd

Dolorous Edd MDL Expert

Aug 31, 2009
    Does anyone know of a way to replace the img01.jpg (desktop wallpaper) in starter?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    #2 genuine555, Oct 21, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2017
  3. poi2

poi2 MDL Novice

Mar 30, 2009
    At last report, not possible due to a hash check built into the system.

If you replace that file, you'll supposedly get a black screen. Not sure if that means you could actually just do a black background, or if it's essentially putting the unit into reduced functionality mode.

But at least so far, it does appear to be hardwired into the starter edition (which I think is only coming on netbooks for the time being).

4. dokapp2111

dokapp2111 MDL Junior Member

Oct 21, 2009
    R U sure? I would remind that if you go in the registy to: (but it only works with OEM Version)

1) go to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Authenication\LogonUI\Background
    2) there must be on the right side the Value OEMBackground. WHen its there follow with STep 4
    3) create it with: New | DWORD-Value)
    4) double klick it and change the Value to 1.
    5) WIndows uses the file: "backgroundDefault.jpg" as background picture. For special resolutions there are files like : "background 1280x1024.jpg"
    6) When you have the file: Watch out! The max. size for the picture is 256 kb!! WHen you need it, put the quality of the jpg file lower.
    7) You need to open the Windows Explorer with Admin Rights (can be done if you type in the searchmenu "explorer" and then rightclick it and open with admin rights
    8) Then navigate to Windows\system32\oobe\info and rightclick it.
    9) Choose "Properties" and go to "Security".
    10) Activate the option "allow" in the row "Full Access". Then click ok. Then click yes.
    11) The preworked jpg file are going to be put into the OEM Directory. It is always: Windows\system32\oobe\info\backgrounds (afaik)
    12) When you restart your Windows 7 it should show up your new Login Background =)

Copyright dokapp2111

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. twiz

twiz MDL Senior Member

Jul 30, 2009
    #5 twiz, Oct 21, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2009
    I'm pretty sure that's correct... however
    All you need to do is find the file that has the check, determine what kind of check it is (CRC32, MD5, etc), get the value for your new file and replace the 'good value' with the new one.
    Easier said than done, but doable.

Alternatively, you could possibly just disable the check, like UXTheme does.

That's for the logon screen. Not the desktop background.
    And it's not just the OEM version. Non OEMs will at worst need to make the folder, though I believe as soon as you change the registry values or during next restart, it is created.

6. Rudi1

Rudi1 MDL Member

May 30, 2007
    I hope that someone with such knowledge will find the way and make a patch for this problem.:)

7. dokapp2111

dokapp2111 MDL Junior Member

Oct 21, 2009
    #7 dokapp2111, Oct 21, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2009
    I'm workin on is since I found the first RTM version of it, but atm it is hopeless...:(
    And I'm now give it up.... =(
    As for the technical side, a new licensing bit was introduced ChangeDesktopBackground-Enabled. On Starter Edition Editions, this bit is set to 0, disabling background setting capabilities (in e.g Windows Photo Viewer and the Display/Theme Control Panel applets). The infection goes deeper into system files shell32.dll and themeui.dll too, hard-coding the wallpaper to %windir%\web\wallpaper\windows\img0.jpg.

8. Ev1lM0nk3y

Ev1lM0nk3y MDL Senior Member

Jun 7, 2007
    img01.jpg is desktop background not logon background

9. keg

keg MDL Novice

Feb 28, 2010
    yes
    this is what he is trying to change afaik.
    so my guess is that if he can dump what this code is doing he will be able to edit the dll's and mod them

10. Stannieman

Stannieman MDL Guru

Sep 4, 2009
    I thins home basic has exactly the same functionality as starter, but you can change the background, so you ould just use that