"Starting Windows" message in English, when everything else in Windows 7 is set to Swedish?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by SkullKid2000, Oct 14, 2018.

1. SkullKid2000

SkullKid2000 MDL Member

Jul 17, 2012
    I don't know if anybody here has had this issue, but I searched the forums and couldn't find anything similar.

I saw someone asking this, like the title says, on Microsoft Answers, and the answer there was marked as solved by just opening the Command Prompt as an administrator, entering "bcdedit /set {current} locale "en-us" in that case to get the proper message at boot.

Except, for me, it should be in Swedish, but it reads "Starting Windows", when it should read "Windows startas".

Can any Windows-geek shed some light on this may be? :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    Was the original install in swedish or en-US?

4. SkullKid2000

SkullKid2000 MDL Member

Jul 17, 2012
    The ISO is a Swedish one, downloaded directly from Microsoft. When I went into the Command Prompt and switched my locale to "de-de" for example, it worked. But, yes, I am quite stumped by this...

5. SkullKid2000

SkullKid2000 MDL Member

Jul 17, 2012
    Swedish, from Windows 7 download site.

6. SkullKid2000

SkullKid2000 MDL Member

Jul 17, 2012
    Also, it strangely showed correctly after a while before the current install.

EDIT: Sorry for the double-posting. I will think about that in the future.

EDIT2: This is what it looks like to me in the control panel. And still, it shows "Starting Windows" when it boots up.

EDIT3: Although... I begin to think it could be solved by Windows Update... it clearly seems like something is "broken" in some way...

Attached Files:

7. whatever127

whatever127 MDL PHP Wizard

Nov 9, 2012
    Polish Windows 7 installed in UEFI mode always starts with "Starting Windows" instead of usual "Trwa uruchamianie systemu Windows", so I'm going to say that OP's problem may caused by installing Windows in UEFI mode.

I don't know if other languages also have this problem and I don't know if OP has installed system in UEFI mode.

8. SkullKid2000

SkullKid2000 MDL Member

Jul 17, 2012
    This is probably the problem then... I've experienced this before. My laptop doesn't "really" have this problem. I hereby decale this solved! Thanks a lot mkuba50 :)

9. ForrestGump

ForrestGump MDL Member

Oct 19, 2018
    French windows 7 installed on UEFI shows ""Starting Windows"" in french language so this has noting to do with installing win7 on UEFI.

10. SkullKid2000

SkullKid2000 MDL Member

Jul 17, 2012
    True. I did put Windows 7 on my USB, and now it's installed in UEFI mode, with Swedish as the language. Where it says "Starting Windows" it now says "Windows startas", as it's supposed to. :)

11. SkullKid2000

SkullKid2000 MDL Member

Jul 17, 2012
    I also noticed now, the "Advanced Boot Options" is also in English. When installed in non-UEFI classic BIOS mode, it shows it all in Swedish. Weird.

12. SkullKid2000

SkullKid2000 MDL Member

Jul 17, 2012
    I suspect it has to do with the Advanced Boot Options, as those are also in English.

13. SkullKid2000

SkullKid2000 MDL Member

Jul 17, 2012
    I highly suspect that it's the system reserved partition that needs to exist on the same drive as the operating system. I will report if it works or not once the installation is done.

14. SkullKid2000

SkullKid2000 MDL Member

Jul 17, 2012
    #16 SkullKid2000, Nov 11, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2018
    (OP)
    Well, it all points to the UEFI itself for me. After multiple tries, I simply don't think Swedish exists in UEFI mode. In legacy BIOS mode, it worked fine. Of course I am not talking about the Welcome Screen, that's in Swedish, but the "Starting Windows" message right before it. That's English.

Oh well, I guess this is as good as it gets. It's not really a problem after all, as the rest of the operating system, except Advanced Boot Options and the "Starting Windows" message is in Swedish.

I lay my case to rest.