Startup Problem! (Not sure if causing by windows 7)

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by tripranav, Nov 6, 2009.

1. tripranav

tripranav MDL Novice

Oct 20, 2009
    Hello,

I am using windows 7 ultimate 32bit since last 2 weeks, and with that every time I start my pc, I have to start it like 4-5 times.

1)So first I push the power button and the light around my power button turns on and I get the bios thingy, then the pc turns off.

2)Then I again push the power button and again it starts and again shows the bios thingy and then goes to the p5nd motherboard image and then again it shuts off.

3)So now again I press the power button and the pc starts again and it crosses both the above startup procedure and it shows starting windows logo and then again it shuts off.

4)I again push the power button and then it finally starts and the system boots up and I can finally use my pc.

So why is this thing happening? I also cleaned my cpu fan as well as the graphic card fan and the other fans too. Also this did`nt use to happen when I was using XP. Just after I installed win 7 I am facing such problem. Here is my system config:

Intel q6600
    asus p5n-d
    4 gb ram ddr2 800mhz
    xfx 8800 gt alpha dog 512 mb
    400 watt psu
    500 gb * 2

2. MrFerretKing

MrFerretKing MDL Member

Aug 25, 2009
    What brand of power supply do you have? Cheaper models can have as low as 60-70% efficiency rating. Which means you may be only getting around 300-350 actual clean watts at full load.

Do you have 2 2GB ram chips or 4 1GB chips? A lot of MB, when all memory banks are populated it can really put a strain on a power supply and the system bus.

Add a q6600 (95-105watts at load depending on stepping )
    Add an XFX 8800GT ( @ 250-275 watts at load)
    Add 2 HD's plus cooling fans for whole system

Your on the edge
    Your power supply could have aging capacitors as well.

3. 4D696B65

4D696B65 MDL Member

Jun 28, 2009
    He said it works ok in xp so PS should be ok.
    I am scratching my head over this also.

4. MrFerretKing

MrFerretKing MDL Member

Aug 25, 2009
    Try to run Memtest86+ for a few hours.

Maybe all the reboots are necessary for it to bypass some bad memory cells on one or more of your sticks.

5. 4D696B65

4D696B65 MDL Member

Jun 28, 2009
    This is very strange. normally this is over heat issue but as you say it works in xp.
    Since this happens before win7 loads we can narrow it down hardware. So why does it work with xp?

Can you give us more info so we can help?

6. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    #6 genuine555, Nov 6, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2017
  7. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    #7 genuine555, Nov 6, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2017
  8. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    Something wrong with the apply applet apparently, it's f**ckud up bad. All layout gets lost, and links and smileys don't work. Hope you can read the above, pall.

9. tripranav

tripranav MDL Novice

Oct 20, 2009
    @ MrFerretKing
    I have 2*2 gb ram chips.
    And I am using iBall psu.
    I`ll also try running that memtest thing you told me.

@ everyone

guys, after 4-5th try when my pc starts, it is continuously running for like 24 hrs. So if it would have been an over heat problem, would`nt it create a problem while it is running the whole day? Because this problem which I stated only occurs when I start my pc after that it runs without any problem for the whole day or may be even 2-3 days if I keep it running. And also even I am guessing this is a hardware problem, just it coincidentally occured after I installed win 7.

I`ll do one thing later on today I`ll post a video of what actually happens when I try to start my pc so that you all can understand.
    Thanks for all the help.

10. burfadel

burfadel MDL EXE>MSP/CAB

Aug 19, 2009
    Have you updated all drivers? Are you running a recent bios?

11. tripranav

tripranav MDL Novice

Oct 20, 2009
    @ burfadel

I have installed all the latest drivers. But don`t know about the bios. How can I check which bios I am currently on?

12. tripranav

tripranav MDL Novice

Oct 20, 2009
    guys one more thing,
    after all this 4-5 times of booting up problem I keep my pc running and if I restart my pc say after 1-2 hrs it boots up in just one go.

So the problem is only when I try to start the pc after a gap of like 3-4 hours. (eg when I shut it down at night and try to start it in the morning)

And if I try to restart it when its running, it does not give me the booting trouble.

13. moosh101

moosh101 MDL Junior Member

Jul 13, 2009
    Boot Woes

Hi,

It could be related to your RAM. I had a similar issue when turning on my computer, it would load then shutdown, start up again and again shutdown, in an endless loop. I tracked the problem down to a faulty 2GB RAM stick I bought cheap from an online auction site here in New Zealand. It worked fine for almost a year during my Vista years, but then suddenly when upgrading to Windows 7 it died at exactly the same time.

Try removing non-essential hardware one by one to see if this makes any difference. First try your RAM sticks, then any PCI cards. If this does not help try disabling your onboard devices, such as LAN, Audio controller, Serial and Parallel ports, etc. You can do this in BIOS. Remember to do them one by one as we are trying to diagnose the problem. Once you have isolated the issue you can then take steps to fix it.

All the best and good luck.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  14. WinterFox

WinterFox MDL Junior Member

Oct 25, 2007
  15. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    Is it the first new install of W7? Did you try a second setup to be sure it is not something at the boot environment? How old ist your HD? Maybe a bad sector at that particular part of the HD. Try another disc and find out if it occours then as well.

16. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    This information helps so far that there obviously is a temperature problem. Can be a weak soldering somewhere on the board or within the powersupply. A bad cable can cause problems like this one as well.

17. footgay

footgay MDL Member

Jun 28, 2009
    I'm sure it's your PSU. With those kinds of hardware, you probably need a 80+ 550 watt PSU to keep them stable. As stable mean to run at their top performance while keep the system still and steady. As for your current one, it's barely useable and your system won't go the its maximum performance and sometimes cause issues for sure.

You see, PSU's efficiency is not at 100%. Most high efficient PSUs are at 80-82%, while the moderate ones are at 50-70%. Giving your system a q6600 and a 88GT alones consume about 400watt.

18. Phazor

Phazor MDL Expert

Sep 1, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  19. Phazor

Phazor MDL Expert

Sep 1, 2009