Startup Repair with Windows 7 64-bit OEM?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by tbrandon, Feb 19, 2017.

1. tbrandon

tbrandon MDL Novice

Feb 19, 2017
    I have an Alienware Aurora R4 with Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit that's been acting pretty wonky. It's had issues booting, when it does boot it eventually slows down and crashes and the check disk from the boot seems to find a bunch of corrupted files.

I am assuming that all I need to do is to repair windows 7. Problem is, the version of Windows 7 is not compatible with my version when I try the "repair windows option". What should I do?

2. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    New clean install, and nothing else. :clap:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    Like kaljukass said, Try a complete, clean reinstall of Windows and see what it does.
    If it still acts 'wonky', then maybe you have a sector error on the hard drive.

How old is the machine?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. tbrandon

tbrandon MDL Novice

Feb 19, 2017
    Around 4 years old. But I would rather avoid losing all of my data. I have quite a bit of personal files and projects I want to keep

5. James Titan

James Titan MDL Member

Nov 7, 2013
    save on usb stick, quick and easy and then go ahead clean install

6. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    Make two partitions and send personal files to there. And where is os now, there it will be also later.
    If You want You can later again these two partitions merge.

7. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    You should be doing backups of all that stuff you want to keep regardless.

8. James Titan

James Titan MDL Member

Nov 7, 2013
    if he makes a clean install every thing is gone on his disk, also partitions.

9. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    Tell this story to someone else, but not me.
    I thought that people still know what they are talking about, but again I was wrong. :worthy:

10. tbrandon

tbrandon MDL Novice

Feb 19, 2017
    I am not sure how I'd do that without being able to log into Windows. Unless I maybe use Linux?

11. tbrandon

tbrandon MDL Novice

Feb 19, 2017
    When I was attempting to work with the computers system repair, I couldn't run any of the programs because "the file or directory C:\$Secure is corrupt and unreadable"

Also sorry for the double post

12. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    You have a lot of opportunities to do what you want. Use Linux live CD/DVD is one choice, but also it helps do everything, what is needed.

13. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    its obvious he needs to do F12 and do diagnostics.. hdd or ram is bad (if not a virus in mbr)

to read from linux if win disk is marked unclean is to mount in read only and copy files.

14. ypvs

ypvs MDL Novice

Dec 21, 2013
    Several options.

1 A Linux Live boot CD and transfer data to USB stick or USB HD. Fresh Install

2 A new hard drive is not that expensive- a fresh install on a new (bigger??) disk and transfer your data

3 A new SSD for Windows and your existing HD for data

15. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    hmm dude follow Joe C he tell the correct process, still when you start the clean install make sure of before start install click shift+f10 to access cmd@administrator then type diskpart\list disk\select (normaly disk 0)\clean\convert gpt\exit\exit again now you can start installation ok ;)