Steinberg Studio Sessions: Solar Fields

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Yen, Aug 31, 2017.

1. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    One of my favorite musicians working with Steinberg

Quite interesting to watch, IMO. I tried Cubase 15 years ago...

Part I

Part II

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    Cubase + Native Instruments + Arturia = Lots of fun. :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    #3 Yen, Sep 1, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2017
    (OP)
    One of the most impressing things Magnus mentioned that like (I don't know his exact wordings anymore) ...sounds or melodies inside of sounds or melodies which unveil their complexity when one listens closely...
    And his composition of the track..things stay, new are added, some are fading, some come again and anything is made to create special emotions actually out of distortion with lots of space and reverb. All together really complex music which unveils not all at first listening. :)

When I tested Cubase I firstly had been very happy to get things running at all. Then its overwhelming features makes it hard to get something done without to have a real concept.
    It was fun. I never did a track of which I had said its a good one, though. Rather very simple compared to the pros.

Hence my deep respect for all the musicians working with Cubase and the like.

Buy their works and do not get the mp3s somewhere for free! This applies to any (hand made) music one likes.
    The musicians do hard work, they have deserved it! The videos give a little impression how much work it is. :)

I love Magnus's music he's one of the best electronic musician and I am waiting for his new album.

Another one is Ulrich Schnauss. His music is different, though. He uses a kind of old school instruments, it's playful, different emotions, although less accessible than Solar Fields.
    Besides of his solo work he recently plays as guest musician in the band Tangerine Dream.

It's nice that I could have a look at Magnus's work.:)

4. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    @Yen: Yeah it's difficult to get running. I had the same problem as well. But once you get it working, it's very stable. :)

That's the track groups and Track automation functions, and it's amazing. Tempo changes, Time Signature modulation, levels and other effects can be brought in and out, simply by adding an automation track.

I've used them, but I haven't really delved into it deeply. Of course, I'm still on version 7.0.4, so some functionality is just not available for me.

I couldn't agree more. Some songs take months to construct and master.

Music composition is not something I'd want to do professionally. It's hard work, and you really have to be fortunate to make any money with it.

Old school music (and instruments) are really nice. I have a Virus C (Access) and I wouldn't trade it for anything.

The same goes for my Roland JP-8080. It's one of the first synths that I bought. Only 6 voices, but the things you can do with it are spectacular.

And Tangerine Dream is one of the first bands I ever listened to. Awesome. :)