Still no news of Windows 7 SP2?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by ian82, Jan 7, 2013.

1. ian82

ian82 MDL Expert

Mar 7, 2012
    I can't believe this... there are like over 100 updates after you install Windows very critical ones and still no SP2 for Windows 7 what's goin on??????? :rolleyes:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. steven4554

steven4554 MDL Expert

Jul 12, 2009
    #2 steven4554, Jan 8, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2013
    MS wants everyone on Win8, and the last thing they would want to do is release a service pack for Win7, cause then people wouldn't upgrade.

Might have to wait until the middle of this year before MS thinks about releasing SP2 for Win7, especially if sales of Win8 don't take off, which atm is slow going.

PS - with WU and non-WU, updates total over 400 for Post-SP1, this is what i get from komm's KUC when updating.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. dareckibmw

dareckibmw MDL Expert

Jun 16, 2009
    I'd rather integrate 400 hotfixes, then use this crap win8 *cough - cough* :D

4. anarchist9027

anarchist9027 MDL Expert

Oct 30, 2010
    Just give it time. There will be a SP2 for Windows 7. After all, it is the most used OS in the world and technology is getting newer and upgraded. Microsoft is going to have to add support to this newer technology when people opt-in their downgrade clauses because they don't want Windows 8 installed on their systems.

5. trungpt

trungpt MDL Addicted

Dec 15, 2009
    Let's wait at least several months after W8 has released :D

6. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    Didn't they (MS) want to move away from Service Packs?

7. trungpt

trungpt MDL Addicted

Dec 15, 2009
    I prefer the SP model, fast upgrading every year hurts :(

8. SOCRATE_MMXII

SOCRATE_MMXII MDL Expert

Jan 25, 2012
    Yep, somebody in MS said that, but that's pure BS if you ask me. It's much easier to deploy a Service Pack in the home/enterprise environment that having to deploy +100 updates. ;)

9. nekomata

nekomata MDL Novice

Jan 19, 2011
    I"m sorry, there won't be another service pack for windows 7.

10. trungpt

trungpt MDL Addicted

Dec 15, 2009
    From your signature, I see StartIsBack :D It's great.

11. Madison23

Madison23 MDL Novice

Oct 3, 2012
    [h=2]Microsoft has no plans for a second Windows 7 Service Pack after releasing Windows 8.[/h]

12. steven4554

steven4554 MDL Expert

Jul 12, 2009
    What, do you work for MS, this is just a rumor and as such, should be taken with a grain of salt. Until MS confirms this, which i doubt they will, i believe there will be a SP2!

13. anarchist9027

anarchist9027 MDL Expert

Oct 30, 2010
    It is honestly the best replacement ever created for a start menu for Windows 8 Legit code and not a 3rd party piece of garbage app.

14. MSSMallBiz

MSSMallBiz MDL Novice

Jan 9, 2013
    Simple math. A SP means MS has to extend the Life Cycle of the product. A SP on an OS that has already been replaced means multiple Dev Teams which equals more money spent. An SP would extend users hanging onto Win7 longer than they would already meaning fewer sales of new software, again $$$.

15. steven4554

steven4554 MDL Expert

Jul 12, 2009
    MS Can afford to make another SP for Win7, and it does not extend how many years Win7 has of support, though MS has just over 3 years before Win7 goes into extended support phase. Which will mean no more SPs!

Do you really believe that by 2015 we will still be using SP1, if we are then MS are making bad business decisions, like so many others they have made.

16. SL2

SL2 MDL Member

Jan 18, 2012
    #17 SL2, Jan 13, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2013
    I used to be optimistic about getting a W7 SP2, but not anymore. Here are some indications I've seen.

1 - Windows 7 is very good and stable as it is. Don't get me wrong, I'd like to have SP2 just as much as you do, and I know all the reasons for having it, but no matter how you look at it, no other Windows version has been that good at RTM, or SP1, as W7 was.

2 - As someone already said, its successor has been launched. MS will focus on W8. (XP SP3 was an anomaly.)

3 - Unlike earlier Windows releases, MS is working on Blue shortly after the W8 release. Something similar haven't happened for a long time.

4 - MS also need resources for WRT, a new one.

5 - The final nail in the coffin: The Platform update (KB2670838). I really can't see why MS would do both this and a SP2.

In short, #1 is the reason that lets MS do #2-4 without worrying about W7 SP2, and #5 is the outcome.

17. mdlguy10

mdlguy10 MDL Novice

Jul 10, 2010
    Yep, this is old news. There won't be a Windows 7 SP2. It will all be done via 100+ hotfixes.

Apple does the same thing. When they release a new Mac OS they stop the minor updates for the previous Mac OS. So when they released Mac OS 10.7, the stopped making updates for Mac OS 10.6.x.

However, Apple does make security updates for previous Mac OS's similar to Windows Updates, but Apple does combine multiple security fixes into one big security update download similar to a roll-up. Microsoft should do that - make roll-ups.

18. javanse

javanse MDL Novice

Nov 5, 2011
    These are all good and valid arguments, but i still believe in a SP2.

While MS could skip a SP2 if it had a private-customer-only userbase, i think the business environment will force MS to release another SP. Many corporations are still running XP and are now in the migration progress to Win7, and none of the companies i have contact with is evaluating Win8.
    So now that Win7 is going to be the new XP, there will be a demand for a SP2 from the server and network admins and the software developers who don't want to deal with complex dependencies between hundreds of updates...they just want to have a common baseline for deploying and testing software and images, and for example having a pre-defined baseline for their software system requirements.
    It's way easier for everyone involved (including MS itself) if the requirement for an application is Win7 SP2 instead of Win7 SP1 + KB123456 + KB654321 + KB 135246 + KBwhatever.

We'll see.

19. burfadel

burfadel MDL EXE>MSP/CAB

Aug 19, 2009
    Companies aren't evaluating Windows 8 because the Metro UI isn't business oriented. It makes the computer look like a toy! Not only that, businesses in general will not want people using metro apps. If Windows 8 had an updated Windows 7 interface you could almost guarantee companies would be evaluating Windows 8 over Windows 7.

Microsoft won't be releasing SP2 just to keep companies happy. If the companies decided to move to Windows 7 at the last minute, it's their own fault! Since Windows 7 is now deprecated Microsoft will have no monetary gain from releasing SP2, and could actually be worse off if the release of SP2 reduces the likelihood of companies moving to the successor of 'Windows Blue'. Windows Blue is basically Windows 8 SP1 under the guise of a new version OS (and is believed to be the base for Xbox Next. The successor of Windows Blue, supposedly in 2014, will probably be what companies on Windows 7 currently will have to look at moving to.