Stop : C0000135 The program can't start because %hs is missing - WAT Fix

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Frankyg10, Apr 28, 2011.

1. Frankyg10

Frankyg10 MDL Novice

Apr 28, 2011
    Hi,

First thanks for all the great info on these forums, has been invaluable .

I mistakenly installed Win7 SP1 to my ageing Dell 9200 Laptop, after which I got the windows not genuine prompts. Strange, I was pretty sure that I had flashed the BIOS and manually installed a cert. Downloaded latest version of Windows loader v2.0.0 and checked the status. it reported that system files had been modified (words to that effect).

I have to say that I can't remember exactly which loader I had been using, just that it had been working great right from the early days. Anyway, though that I would remove all loaders and double check my BIOS, and apply the SLIC 2.1 if I hadn't already done so.

the following tasks were done remotely;
    I downloaded WAT FIX.zip and ran it. It didn't automatically restart the laptop.
    I ran it again, and it told me that system repairs were pending. I manually restarted and hoped that windows would come back up. it didn't.

AT HOME;
    It appears that windows startup repair had attempted to repair something, but failed. Tried rebooting but get the following error. Windows starts to load but before the login box appears crashes into a boot loop;

STOP: C0000135 The program can't start because %hs is missing. Try resintalling the program.
    vlcsnap-2011-04-28-09h41m19s86.jpg

I've tried FIXBOOT, FIXMBR and rebuilding the BCD. Nothing works, still get the boot loop.

No system restore available, last known good all tried.
    Can anyone suggest what I might try to get my system back up, without formatting?

As suggested by Phazor in post #9 here htt*://forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/17567-Random-BSOD-issues-C0000135? - "%hs would appear to be a variable, in this case one that hasnt been set..." what does FIX WAT actually do? Is it likely that it's the culprit?

When I get home next I'm going to try chkdsk, but after that I'm stuck!

Thanks for any help with this,

FrankyG

Windows 7 Ultimate
    Dell 9200

2. zahnoo

zahnoo MDL Senior Member

Feb 2, 2011
    #2 zahnoo, Apr 28, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2011
    Try turning off programs that run at startup and see if the problem goes away. If it does, turn them back on one by one and see which one cause the error. Looks to me you've just got some program faulting at startup.

Did the problem start after installing a program or a program update? if so, you might try uninstalling it. Could also be an anti malware program mucking up the works; seems an AVG 2011 update caused some people to have this problem.

But since you mistakenly installed the OS, you might want to take this opportunity to install the OS you really wanted. A clean install usually fixes a lot of things.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Frankyg10

Frankyg10 MDL Novice

Apr 28, 2011
    Hi thanks for the reply, however I can't actually boot into windows. It crashes with BSOD and goes into a boot loop.

4. zahnoo

zahnoo MDL Senior Member

Feb 2, 2011
    Well, why not take this opportunity to do a clean install and get the OS you want? If you've found you don't really like 7 or that it doesn't run well on this machine, now is the perfect opportunity to correct that.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Frankyg10

Frankyg10 MDL Novice

Apr 28, 2011
    Sorry, I may have been unclear in my original post - I had a working copy of Windows 7 Ultimate on my Laptop. It was SP1 that I installed my mistake, without checking warnings etc. I Love Win7!

6. zahnoo

zahnoo MDL Senior Member

Feb 2, 2011
    Ahhh ok, yeah I've had certain updates install without my knowledge because of how Windows Update was set. I keep all mine set to "Never ...." now to preclude that. But I now know exactly what you mean.

Hopefully others will chime in here with possible fixes. If it were me, I'd wipe and do a clean install, but I do understand not wanting to do that.

7. Frankyg10

Frankyg10 MDL Novice

Apr 28, 2011
    #7 Frankyg10, Apr 28, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2011
    (OP)
    Yep, set my other PC's and Laptops NOT to install automatically now! I've got a feeling there is a fix for this, based on reading here; httpp://forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/24902-Windows-Loader-Support-and-chat/page279?highlight=C0000135. I've PM'd DAZ, hopefully he can shed some light on this.

FrankyG

*EDIT* remove the double P from httpp! Can't post links or pics until 20 posts.

8. zahnoo

zahnoo MDL Senior Member

Feb 2, 2011
    Once you do get to a stable system, make a system image; one of the really nice features of 7. Restoring the image will put you back to where the system was stable. Doing that will also put any documents back to past state too so back them up somehow.

9. Miyata

Miyata MDL Novice

Aug 15, 2011
    Hi,

I got the same problem. Before pc was booting properly, the only thing is, it had not genuine windows because I used removewat and it stopped working so I downloaded Daz's newest loader but it told me he system is modifed so I downloaded Daz's watfix and after my pc restarted them essage asy ours about missing %hs came up and now I can't boot, even on safe mode. I tried launching repair tool and in command prompt writing bootsect /nt60 SYS /force but it didn't help. (that's what says id .txt file from the Daz's loader rar file).
    Could someone please help me? I think I need to replace the files as the guy in another thread which FrankyG gave me. Daz sent him some files.

10. Critical

Critical MDL Novice

Aug 16, 2011
    You should do a clean install and then use a loader.

11. pauldamo

pauldamo MDL Senior Member

Aug 3, 2009
    my first question would be why use a loader if you flashed the bios and installed a cert?