Stop XP finding new divices!

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by cooge, Jul 6, 2009.

1. cooge

cooge MDL Novice

Jun 20, 2008
    Hi
    I have a Hp Printer that I have had to install a IBM Driver on XP to get a certain piece of software to print labels off.
    This is all working fine but the XP keeps coming up with the "found new hardware" wizard on boot up.
    I can click on cancel but i dont want my users accidentally trying to install the hp driver by clicking on anything from the pop up.

Is there a way to stop the found new hardware wizard from working?

I have tried to disable the Plug N Play service but this stops the printer being discovered alltogether. I also tried to disable the Universal plug and play device host service but this hasnt had any effect.

I suspect there may be a reg tweak i can do to stop this?

Can any body help on this

2. cooge

cooge MDL Novice

Jun 20, 2008
    Thanks for that lolphirae.

I never let the hardware wizard get that far before i quit it. I will give that a go and let you know if it works.

3. cooge

cooge MDL Novice

Jun 20, 2008
    I have tried this but it still prompts me to install new device.

I have disabled the device through Dev manager and this has done the trick.
    I can still use the printer with the other drivers so looks ok.
    I am not sure if this will have an impact on anything else but if it does i will post back.

4. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    #4 911medic, Jul 6, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    Driver conflicts are a PITA. if he got the printer and software working per requirements..we can help. I think...:D:D

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. cooge

cooge MDL Novice

Jun 20, 2008
    I have got 2 printers installed, same printer but different drivers. 1 with the HP driver and one with the IBM driver. This works fine but when the PC is restarted the hardware wizard kicks in and tries to install the HP driver. When its finished the IBM driver no longer works. Even though the printer with the IBM driver is installed it just doesn't print anything readable just muddled up letters. I then have to reinstall the IBM driver for this to work. This is strange i know.
    Any hows. I have run the hotfix that 911 medic has provided and this has worked a treat. I am going to leave it at this because the printer is up and running.
    Thanks to both of you for your help

7. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    Happy to help. I do not like popups either....:D

Dont you just LUV PnP??:eek: