Storage Pool Broken after upgrading Windows 10

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Tomwa, Nov 2, 2018.

1. Tomwa

Tomwa MDL Novice

May 14, 2012
    #1 Tomwa, Nov 2, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2018
    So my previous clean install was of the RS4 "RTM" build (17134) and after updating to RS5 via windows updates I had issues (dark theme no longer worked among others) so I figured I'd do a clean install of RS5 in order to fix things.

I backed up my computer using Acronis and stored said backup in my storage pool - two 4TB drives in mirror mode. Then I validated the backup and rebooted to do a clean install.

I disconnected both storage pool drives prior to doing the install just to be safe, and the install went fine with no issues, however upon booting into windows I noticed that my storage space was no longer listed and figured that I needed to perhaps re-initialize it or something, my understanding was that Storage Space metadata is stored on the drive and as such the drives should've persisted but I went to storage spaces and couldn't find any way to fix the drive.

I went into Disk Management and found both disks, with their partitions as expected, and I can use drive tools to browse the files. However I have no available options through Disk Management expect for "Delete Volume" and toggling the Offline/Online status.

Windows seems to have no idea that there was ever a storage pool, as such my questions are:

1. Did I violate the usage scenarios for Storage Pools, if so what did I do wrong.
    2. Can I repair the storage pool without reformatting it.

Any assistance is hugely appreciated.

I've attached a screenshot of the drives from Disk Management, I find the partitioning of these drives somewhat odd as well.

upload_2018-11-1_23-43-40.png

2. endbase

endbase MDL Guru

Aug 12, 2012
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Tomwa

Tomwa MDL Novice

May 14, 2012
    Sorry, can you be more specific? They seem to have multiple available tools?

Will this repair the storage pool?

4. endbase

endbase MDL Guru

Aug 12, 2012
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Tomwa

Tomwa MDL Novice

May 14, 2012

Attached Files:

6. endbase

endbase MDL Guru

Aug 12, 2012
    Yeah it will prob find old deleted files so and odd indeed that it find boot files !

7. Tomwa

Tomwa MDL Novice

May 14, 2012
    These are partitions though, not files?

It's claiming to have found 12 partitions labeled boot.

8. endbase

endbase MDL Guru

Aug 12, 2012
    You are right did you the disk's before for other purpose's ?

9. Tomwa

Tomwa MDL Novice

May 14, 2012
    Depends on which disk it is, one disk is older than the other, the newer one was blank and immediately added to the storage pool.

I'm unsure which of the two disks it is that is currently being scanned.

10. Tomwa

Tomwa MDL Novice

May 14, 2012
    I should add that neither of the disks have ever held an operating system.

The first disk is a year or so old data disk, the second disk was brought in to mirror the first using storage spaces.

11. Tomwa

Tomwa MDL Novice

May 14, 2012
    Final Results:

upload_2018-11-2_13-35-19.png

Doesn't look like it had any luck as they all overlap with the existing partition.

Attached Files:

12. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
  13. whitestar_999

whitestar_999 MDL Addicted

Dec 9, 2011
    Try the previous RS4 build.For future reference it is a bad idea to rely on things like MS storage space when good old fashioned simple backup to a portable hdd/nas with software like macrium/terabyte(considered much better than acronis,just check wilders forum) works well for majority.

14. Tomwa

Tomwa MDL Novice

May 14, 2012
    Yeah I just wanted the redundancy which is fine but evidently I need just a simple drive backup as well.

I've gotten two more 4TB drives to add to the pool (Bringing the total size of the pool to 8TB of redundant storage) and an additional 8TB external drive which will get the backup stored and verified on it as well.

As a side note does anyone know good drive cloning tools? It has to copy the blank space as well, I want to try a repair operation on my corrupted pool disks but I don't want to lose the data should it not work, my plan was to clone the 4TB disks and then perform it on the clones.

15. asabater

asabater MDL Member

Sep 6, 2008
    #17 asabater, Nov 7, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2018
    sector to sector clone

boot ubuntu linux live from usb (18.04 x64 & mate flavour is ok), with internetE connection...
    ctrl+alt+t to open terminal
    sudo apt update
    sudo apt install gddrescue
    sudo fdisk -l
    sudo ddrescue -f -v -d /dev/sdX /dev/sdY

fdisk is to view disks details, to determine source & destination disks letters...
    sdX is source disk
    sdY is destination disk

saludos

16. Tomwa

Tomwa MDL Novice

May 14, 2012
    #18 Tomwa, Nov 17, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2018
    (OP)
    Thanks I'll see if I have more luck with this.